[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: torn acl

  • From: Falkrigia@xxxxxxx
  • To: arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:04:54 EDT

One of our Champion males who had his HT and was working on his PT tore an
ACL.
 We used Dr Randy Basinger in Columbia, SC who is one of the best  orthopedic
surgeons for his surgery and have been extremely happy with the  results. It
did require the 8 weeks of confinement but we set up a room in a  kennel
building just for him where he could walk around a small area for the 8
weeks(after the vet cleared him to be out of the crate) with no distractions to

encourage him to be too active.

The surgery was a total success but he still has a steel plate in his leg
and pins so we will not do any strenuous performance events with him just to be

on the safe side. They leave that in now unless the dog has a reaction to the
 metal which our boy didn't have thankfully. It is the preferred procedure
now  for fixing torn ACLs.

If they do not have the surgery, the dog will progress to losing almost  ball
muscle tone in that leg, the limp will grow progressively worse and the
joints on the other leg will wear faster due to picking up the slack for the
injured leg. If the other leg ever has a problem, the dog will be completely
crippled.

perhaps they could set up a stall or a room in the barn or house where he
can just walk around ( Our boy actually rested the bulk of the time as I think
he sensed that he needed to rest the leg.) when they're there and then just
crate him when absolutely necessary. I agree that 8 weeks in a crate could be
detrimental mentally and also physically.

We actually handled a back surgery on our Ch Vachon who was 9 pretty much
the same way, again with excellent results.

Hope this helps.
lynda

Check out  our websites below for regular updates
Gene Workman
Lynda  Bragg-Workman
Falkrigia Shepherds
_www.falkrigiashepherds.com_ (http://www.falkrigiashepherds.com/)