[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: torn acl

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 15:41:47 GMT

When Too was about 9 or 10 she was fence fighting or chasing a trespassing
chicken and tore her ACL.  She was scheduled for surgery, however, the day of
surgery, the surgeon didn't want to do anything because of her bad heart (she
had sub-aortic stenosis).  She was walking on three legs when it first
happened.  She was placed under house arrest, leash walked, etc. for about 6 to
8 weeks.
She had two speeds - FASTER and FASTEST and she was NOT a happy camper being
restricted like this.  It was difficult on both of us - especially when we went
out and the other Hooligans were running and playing.  We sat outside as much
as possible while the others were out which made her happy (she was on lead).
Inside none of the Hooligans are allowed to run and play, so she was used to
the quiet indoor routine.

Gradually she began walking on all fours, and when the vet gave me the go
ahead, she was released to do whatever she wanted to do including fence
fighting, chasing chickens (she caught her first one on her 11th birthday),
playing ball - whatever she wanted to do she was allowed to do it.  As always,
she continued doing everything at FULL SPEED AHEAD.

She died suddenly when she was 12-1/2.  Up until her death she didn't have any
problems walking except for normal old age arthritis, and she slowed down a lot
- never stopped fence fighting or chasing chickens, but she did it in slow
motion the last six months of her life.

Looking back, even though she healed without incident, I would have had the
surgery if her heart could have taken the stress.  For what it's worth, when
she was 10, she had a cancerous tumor removed without any problems with the
surgery or anesthesia.

I hope this helps and best wishes to your friend's dog!!!

Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- Arcturus <arcturus@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Once again I'm turning to the collective wisdom on the list for ideas on what
to do....I had a lady call yesterday who has one of our "puppies".   He's 8
years old now and has torn his acl. He can walk and run on it with no problem,
but when he stands he " toe touches" instead of putting full weight on it.  Her
vet wants to operate and THEN the dog must stay in a crate with only brief
walks for potty breaks for the next eight weeks.  The dog lives on a farm and
she's worried that making him stay crate bound for that long will end up
causing more damage, both mentally and physically as he tries to get out of the
crate since he's not used to being in it.  Has anyone ever experienced this?
what would happen if he didn't have the surgery?  Thanks,  Sue T.