[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: the Sissyfication of the GSD

  • From: Diane Wright <diwri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:23:50 -0800 (PST)

Tough is an interesting choice of word.
What does it mean actually?
A dog that.....   what....?

A dog that you have to argue with as to who is right? I do who looks at you
with a 'make me' expression when you ask him to do something? (Something like
'sit' or something like stop chewing on the cat.) Is it Sissyfied to obey?

Some may feel that a good GSD announces strangers within a mile radius & a
Sissyfied one doesn't. A dog that acts out of control because someone walks
past his crate/vehicle/person/house is not my idea of tough. I think it's
bordering on nuts. (Insecurity is Sissyfied.)

It is perfectly ok, to the point of being a sign of sanity, for a GSD to show
affection to strangers. GSD 'affection' is not over-the-top Labradork or Golden
affection. A GSD is not asking to be taken home. He's not looking to trade-up
on owners. He's saying 'hello'. (Actually, I think it's more like 'Hello, yes,
of course I'm wonderful, you are permitted to show me the attention I deserve.
Thank you, I have no further need of your services, be gone.")

The breed was bred to use their minds. You don't turn your flock of sheep over
to a dog that is a loose cannon. You don't need a level 11* response to a
falling leaf or a blowing tumbleweed. You need a dog who can assess a
situation, determine if there's a threat, if the threat needs to be dealt with
& how to best handle it.

Diane

*Spinal Tap reference

These posts said it better...

A dog with good strong nerves does not need to be aggressive nor belligerent.
He does not need to prove himself. A good herding dog who deals with large
flocks of dog savy sheep needs strong nerves. A good patrol dog needs strong
nerves. A good guide dog needs strong nerves. You can see many SchH dogs who
earn good scores (not the paper titles) who are friendly family pets and can be
mauled by kids, yet they can stand up to threats without hesitation. I like a
strong dog - a confident dog who does not need to advertise that he is strong
until there is a need to prove it. He will not walk up to a judge and act like
a poodle. He will not act like every person on earth is his best buddy. Too
often "tough" dogs are really soft dogs acting out of defense. I want that self
confident dog who owns the land he stands on. And that good solid dog does not
need to be dog aggressive.
Ruth

I love the fact that I can walk Vinnie anywhere...without any fear of him
frightening anyone. I love the fact that he always "looks for his light" and
thinks he is in a terminal photo shoot...I love the fact that he always offers
a kiss to anyone who begs for one...I love the fact that when I am alone in the
car, he stands between me and danger, offering any potential intruder a
sincerely menacing low growl to let them know..."no one messes with my
Mother"...and yet, if I give the ok, they are welcomed into the car without
incident. I love the fact that he is confident enough to engage in any
situation and handle it without fear. There is no doubt in my mind that he
would give his life to protect me..and at the same time, does not see people in
general as enemies, but rather fans. I do believe if he had thumbs, he would
happily give autographs. I wouldnt have him any other way.
Dawn