[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tetnus

  • From: Barbara Hahn <bhahn0616@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:40:11 -0800 (PST)

I had a friend whose black lab got tetanus from a puncture wound from the straw
bedding they used in her run. She was treated and cured and lived a long life,
but it was a really ugly illness. The  muscles did indeed start to contract in
her head and neck and never did totally recover.
Barb

 <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Tetanus has nothing to do with rust..or
rusty nails..or barbed wire ..it is
caused by a bacteria  found in the intestinal tract .consequently if you
step on a nail( brand new or rusted) in a barnyard or stable..or maybe even
a dog kennel or any place where fecal matter may be present, you can
possibly introduce the germ into the wound. Puncture(deep) wounds are most
likely to grow tetanus as they tend to heal over at the top and become
necrotic inside. Tetanus grows in dead tissue, not healthy tissue that is
why in most cases superficial wounds would not likely be as susceptible.
Horses are the most likely animals to contract tetanus..man is next..cats
have a rare incidence of tetanus. I had a friend who years ago had a horse
who was put down due to tetanus. he told me it was horrific as the muscles
spasms were violent and painful. Muscles of the head and neck, especially
the muscles of the jaw are most affected. Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

unless the animal actually is cut, usually barbed wire, rusty nail etc.
Very nasty disease "Lock Jaw"

>   www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=2536&S=1 morgan
>

> grnram415@xxxxxxx wrote:
>   Yikes!? I hope all of you responded to the List too.? Folks should know
dogs CAN get it.? Maybe I should have demanded a tetnus shot.? My girl
recovered just fine without it, but if it is a possibility, I'd rather err
on the side of caution.? Thanks for your responses.
> Laura Thomas

MANNER

> OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
OF ALL

> PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A