[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: tetnus

  • From: MORGAN LEWIS <shadowland22000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd showlist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:39:43 -0800 (PST)

Didn't mean to imply that rust creats the bacteria. actually   Tetanus is an
acute, often-fatal disease of the nervous system that is caused by nerve toxins
produced by the bacterium Clostridium tetani. This bacterium is found
throughout the world in the soil and in animal and human intestines.

  The old time feeling even though inaccurate was that if the wound was created
by a "clean" object then you probably would not get Tetanus. "thus the
expression of "rusty". All I can honestly say " is that 17 days after Grand ma
"scratched" herself on a "rusty barbwire fence" picking blackberries" she was
dead and lockjaw is a very unpleasant way to die .Morgan

<hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Tetanus has nothing to do with rust..or
rusty nails..or barbed wire ..it is
caused by a bacteria found in the intestinal tract .consequently if you
step on a nail( brand new or rusted) in a barnyard or stable..or maybe even
a dog kennel or any place where fecal matter may be present, you can
possibly introduce the germ into the wound. Puncture(deep) wounds are most
likely to grow tetanus as they tend to heal over at the top and become
necrotic inside. Tetanus grows in dead tissue, not healthy tissue that is
why in most cases superficial wounds would not likely be as susceptible.
Horses are the most likely animals to contract tetanus..man is next..cats
have a rare incidence of tetanus. I had a friend who years ago had a horse
who was put down due to tetanus. he told me it was horrific as the muscles
spasms were violent and painful. Muscles of the head and neck, especially
the muscles of the jaw are most affected. Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

unless the animal actually is cut, usually barbed wire, rusty nail etc.
Very nasty disease "Lock Jaw"

> www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&C=189&A=2536&S=1 morgan
>

> grnram415@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yikes!? I hope all of you responded to the List too.? Folks should know
dogs CAN get it.? Maybe I should have demanded a tetnus shot.? My girl
recovered just fine without it, but if it is a possibility, I'd rather err
on the side of caution.? Thanks for your responses.
> Laura Thomas

MANNER

> OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS PERMISSION
OF ALL

> PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY FORBIDDEN, AND
IS A