[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: temperament testing

  • From: "Amy Safdir" <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:20:08 -0500

There are definite pros and cons of the temperament test.
One very legitimate argument is that we put such emphasis on it that it
certainly draws attention to the fact that we must think our own breed has
poor temperament problems to pronounce a huge emphasis on it by requiring
such a big display.

I find it hard to believe that judges who judge our breed can't tell poor
temperament without a drawn out production. The eyes of the dog tell so much
and the reaction the dog has when you are examining it should say alot. I
fail to believe that our judges can't tell poor temperament without this
test. I give them alot more credit than this. I think they are smart and can
tell poor temperament.  It is more for the ringside in my opinion than for
the judges.

It is also a legitimate argument to say that we should be doing the test in
order to say poor temperament is untolerable and undesired in our breed. For
a GSD with poor temperament is inexcusable.

Also is it being performed properly and is it being done uniformly by every
judge and is every judge faulting it the same ?? Do some judges expect a
golden retriever temperament? Do some actually award aloofness or do they
penalize it since they couldn't come up and give the dog a big whopping hug
and pat to the side that nearly knocks their footing off ? And what happens
when the dog gets that big pat on the side and disagrees with it by standing
his ground ? Will he be penalized ? But what message are we sending out by
doing it or not doing it ?? I don't think this is a topic anyone will ever
come to an agreement on.

Amy Safdir
Almanya Shepherds
www.almanyagsd.com