[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Utah National

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <glenwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:51:32 -0500

Things are rarely as they seem.  Please don't yell "fire" in a crowded theater.

There was no debacle.  There was spontaneous discussion at the Board meeting
regarding problems with the in-ring temperament evaluation, particularly when
incorrectly administered by certain judges, and on the problems this can cause,
both to the affected animals and their owners, and to perceptions among
all-breed judges and the public.  In fact, on this very List, there have
recently been horror stories reported regarding this issue, both at all-breed
and specialty shows.

There was a sincere, serious discussion of the issues.  In order that there be
ample opportunity for input, from Bob Penny, who will be expressly invited to
attend the April meeting, Carmen (who we were advised will be attending the
April meeting), and everyone else who wishes to be in the loop, the Board
concluded that the way to have a comprehensive view of positions and feelings
of the membership is for discussion and any possible action will be deferred
until the April meeting.

There is no need to "alert" the membership, although there is no reason not to
pursue calm and rational discussion of this issue.  The existence of the issue
will be addressed  ("alerted") in the Board-O-Gram, which exists for that very
purpose.  In addition, the Board has adopted an expedited process for approval
and availability of the Minutes, which will also be well before the next
meeting.

The April board meeting is in Utah, specifically because the Board will be
making a site visit to a potential National site there, at the urging of many
on this very List, and elsewhere.  I am perplexed at why anyone would feel that
to be problematic.

This is certainly a legitimate topic, but please do not imply that anything
underhanded is occurring, as that is not anyone's intention.

Margery Golant

From: "glenwood" <glenwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/02/02 Wed PM 02:52:42 EST
To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Utah National

A few minutes ago, I heard from our friend Helen Gleason.  She gave her
permission to send this to the list since she has concern about everyone
hearing all that is going on at the GSDC Board Meetings.
According to Helen, the Board was considering eliminating the current
temperament test for conformation judging.  I was surprised to hear it.  There
was much more that needs to be addressed
She wanted to hear from everyone who is interested.  For all of you who want to
comment, please email her directly if you don't feel like sending it to the
board at helengleasonus@xxxxxxxxx

Helen's message<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

"Does anyone our there care?

Don't you think it is time for us to put something on the internet about board
meeting site selections since we are running with only $2000 over budget for
the entire year and every time I try to save money by deleting unnecessary
travel for non board members its shot down.  Let's look for sites that are the
most cost effective.

Bob Penny was not even notified until I called him yesterday about the debacle
that occurred at the meeting regarding elimination of the temperament test.  I
am thankful that the vote was not called and I was able to get the board to
agree to delay the vote until the next meeting when Bob could attend.

Let's get the membership alerted and have them contact the Board via the
board@xxxxxxxxx email address.

Members we need your help....
Helen Gleason"
End of Helen's Message