[ SHOWGSD-L ] some rules (guidelines) will always be broken...

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 15:51:08 +0000

> Oh, my gosh, Peggy..... I have seen so much chalking and blatant
> coloring in the terries, collies, shelties and the poodles that it
> amazes me that the rule is so detailed and it is still being done.
> You can walk by some of the grooming tables and the air is thick with
> powder and groomers/handlers wear gloves while they apply their magic

> Dania

Well, there is that same level of amazement from the judges from other
breeds who attend our judges' seminar and observe our judging regarding
double handling.  One poor lady tried to ask about that in this year's
seminar and Ginny cut her off.

The AKC no longer sends a rep to our national because of our doubling.
They don't want their reps to be in the position of witnessing the
doubling.  Linda More often comes to our national, but, when she was
Asst. VP of Judging Operations, she always made it a point to say that
she was there in an unofficial capacity.  I, for one, have been
penalized by some judges for doubling when I wasn't.  It is not always
easy to determine who is doubling outside the ring when you are
standing in the middle of the ring.

Judges in this year's seminar at the national were advised to look to
see if hair on the dog's back is black all the way to the root, and, if
it is, to suspect color enhancement.  My own dogs go back to CH Clover
Acres' Excitation ROM who was as black and red as they come, and, I, on
occasion, have been accused of enhancing the red pigment on my dogs.
As far as gray muzzles go, I attended a judges' seminar on the Belgium
shepherd where judges where advised NOT to penalize dogs with grizzled
muzzles.  Perhaps if we did a better job of educating judges then
exhibitors wouldn't worry about being penalized by uninfomed judges for
something that is acceptable and should not be faulted.  Until that
happens, expect mascara usage to be fairly common place in our breed.

JMO...

Laurie Pruett