[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: socializing dogs and surgical implanting

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:59:21 -0800 (PST)

now that you mention it, Kit was a kennel dog until I got him.  He was very
aloof for a long time.  He did bond well my Dexter, the old man, but he also
found that even my 13 year old son is worth being with.  He has bonded strongly
with the entire family and will come to any of us unless he needs to pee on his
sister's spot.

  It took him about 9 months to really bond with us, and he was rather bland
until then.  He is developing nicely into a friendly but protective dog.

  He is also eating better now that I am addressing his allergies.  But he does
not seem to be gaining weight yet.  It's only been a week or so though.

  Liddy spent 8 months as a kennel dog.  She got the hang of home again after 2
days.  And one 'accident' in a hotel room.  Only one.

  She was also surgically implanted.  Too soon to tell, but the signs are
right.  Spotting never really picked up again, and stayed very light for the
few days it continued.  Still swollen, more than a week after surgery.  Her
progestrone was 14.5 when it was done.

  If she is with child, she is due the end of Feb.  I will let you all know.
  Sheila

"Karen C." <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:11:47 EST, Rbuffdogs@xxxxxxx wrote:=20

>> In a message dated 1/10/2006 8:03:07 A.M. PST, =20
>> EJDegen@xxxxxxx writes:
>> The time commitment to "resocializing" dogs is incredible
>>=20
>
>Yes Julie that is absolutely right. You cannot do it=20
>halfway, if you do, you will make any anti social/behavioral
>problems worse. Consistency is key, and finishing=20
>what you start.
>=20
>Kathy =20

Hey all,

I'd like to add that I'm currently reading a book called
Ruff Love (Susan Garrett, author) that, basically, describes
the same process as Julie did, plus a lot more! The book is
geared toward rehabbing and developing a better relationship
with dogs with "issues" of all kinds, or with working/sport
dogs where the handler/dog relationship is not all that it
could be. It's really an uber-NILIF program, if you're
familiar with that. She gives you relationship-building
games to do also. The process involves stripping the dog
right down to its very core and then building him back up
again. *ALL* privileges and freedoms are removed from the
dog to begin with and slooooowly and gradually added back in
as the weeks (or months) go by.

If you're interested, the book is available from Dogwise
, Clean
Run or
Amazon.

I'm not sure the program, in its entirety, is right for me
and my setter. But I'm thinking I might be able to use the
modified "puppy" version she provides in the book to good
effect. For reference, my dog is a close-to-5 year old raw
kennel dog who came to live with us when we lost our White
Shepherd last summer. He's an absolute sweetheart, but=20
would much rather amuse himself running the fence line or
chasing squirrels and birds than take part of any sort of
training or other activities involving hubby and me. I would
like to put some sort of title on him... even if only a CGC.
He's extremely bright! It's just that he has bonded much
more to other dogs than to people. I guess that living the
kennel dog's life has taught him that he'd better make his
own fun because human beings are really boring.

Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Photos