[ SHOWGSD-L ] socializing dogs

  • From: EJDegen@xxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 11:01:33 EST

Hi Ed,

First of all, kick out the mother and mother-in-law :-)

Seriously, I've "rehabbed" and socialized a number of dogs for  people.  I
would bring him AWAY from the other dogs as much as  possible, you don't want
him seeing, smelling, or hearing them for right  now....he needs to realize
that
he can get social interaction with HUMANS.   Put him in a crate in your
garage if necessary to get him away from the other  dogs.  ALL interaction
should
be human interaction and you should be  spending as much time as humanly
possible with him.  Hand feed him at least  one meal a day (great opportunity
teach tricks :-) ).  If he doesn't  want to eat from your hand, then he doesn't
eat until he'll take it from your  hand.  Take him every time you leave in the
car.  He doesn't have to  get OUT of the car, just take him with you (in a
crate for safety of  course).  Bring him in the house with you, but tie him to
you with a  leash.  If that's not convenient, then put him in a crate in the
room that  you're in (he doesn't have to be loose, but he needs to SEE you,
SMELL
 you, HEAR you).  He needs to go on a minimum of 2 walks a day with YOU  (no
other dogs).  Commit to yourself that you're going to take him to at  least
one new place a day in the car (grocery store, park, PetsMart, beach,  mall
parking lot, etc.).  I treat these dogs as if they're babies and I'm
socializing
them all over....the problem is that it is HARDER than when they're  babies, a
LOT harder.  The time commitment to "resocializing" dogs is  incredible.

Julie Degen

In a message dated 1/10/2006 10:40:34 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I obtained a 9 month old male on a trial basis to see  IF I have the skills
to work out his problem....here is his problem.....He  wants no human
interaction, he is not spooky, and will allow anyone to pet  him, he does not
back down
at all but he does seek to avoid...he has been  kenneled with his sister and
has had very little human attention, I currently  have him kenneled by
himself, however he can see my other dogs, living in my  house will not be an
option
right now because  my mother and mother-in  law live with us now......what are
the predictions from the  jury....Ed