[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: <showgsd-l>was temperment - why test

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <psharp212@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:13:15 -0800

Not if they are on a certain class of drugs, or watching their owner outside
the ring.

Most judges spend 10 times as much time side-gating dogs than on checking
their temperament.  This tells the public, and breeders, what trait we value
in our dogs, and what we breed for.

Most, definitely not all, but a majority of the breeders, owners, and judges
that I personally know, value sidegait and type over temperament.

I will give you one group of people in the sport that really value
temperament, and those people are handlers.  I know of one handler that has
the integrity to turn down any opportunity to handle a dog with poor
temperament; that is actually putting his/her money where his/her mouth is.

Paula, 247 days and counting