  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AA GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 17:42:33 -0500

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:49:02 -0500, Pharaohs Revenge
<pharaohsrevenge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Secondly, even if the GSDCA told a portion of the whites to "GO,"
>there's still the rules of the AKC FSS which state," The FSS® is
>not open to "rare" breeds that are a variation of an
>AKC-registrable breed or the result of a combination of two
>AKC-recognized  breeds. This includes and is not limited to differences
>such as size (over and  under), coat type, coat colors, and coat colors
>and/or types that are disqualifications  from Conformation Events by AKC
> breed standards." (source page http://www.akc.org/reg/fss_details.cfm)

While you were busy quoting, you forgot that white GSDs
are not a "rare" breed. What we're talking about here is a
breed split with the goal of using white-coated GSDs to
establish and further develop the BBS here in this
country. Helping to establish new and developing breeds is
pretty much the purpose for which FSS was created. (Well,
that and more money for AKC!) AKC invented and set up the
FSS program, so AKC gets to say who can list with FSS and
who cannot, what the rules will be and who gets to bend or
break those rules. GSDCA has Carmen, so enough said!

Where the club awards are concerned, I am very glad
that white dogs can now compete for and win club awards.
I, personally, celebrate that small victory. However, if
it is discovered that this rule change is limited ONLY to
white GSDs and no other, then there was no victory to be
had. I am ***dead set against*** the idea of playing
favorites with faults! Let ALL play or let NO ONE play! I
totally side with those on this list who feel they were
blind sided by this change because I do feel it was done
in haste to simply pacify one small group of fanciers to
the exclusion of the rest of the club. It should have been
presented to the membership at large *before* being voted
and enacted. As a member in good standing (just got my
certificate and everything), the way this was done just
leaves a really bad taste in my mouth!
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx