[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V3 #404So here's a thought....

  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:25:42 -0500

So here?are my thoughts.....
You are assuming that the breeder doesn't do that. I let every puppy buyer know
the advantages of registering their puppy as well as everything that is
available to them. I keep them up to date on different programs AKC offer such
as the star puppy training classes. AKC should cut their costs internally as
much as breeders should inform their puppy buyers. I have found the puppy
buyers for my puppies extremely bright people who have a solid grasp on the
world. I also mark my papers limited and explain why. I also let them pick the
name as long as my kennel name is first and I put it on the papers before they
leave. I also offer a "rebate" when they spay or nueter.? I am positive most
breeders do inform their puppy buyers, don't you think?
For one to blame the other is silly and a waste of time.? AKC charges for
everything, they are out pricing themselves. Breeders are not responsible to
keep AKC solvent,??but at the same time I think breeders should strive to get
their pups registered with AKC.? If you don't think your puppy buyers are
capable of registering the pup,or you want to name the pup then register them.
I am thinking of offering a membership to GSDCA with my next litter, I love
that idea,?but registering with AKC?is still going to be the new families deal.
I support AKC, I enter their shows, buy their Christmas cards, encourage my
puppy buyers to register, show them how, buy all the xtra puppy registration
stuff that AKC offers when you register a litter and feel they make enough off
my litter that if my puppy people for what ever reason don't want to register,
it won't break AKC. In my "vast" experience( all 3 litters) only one person did
not register their puppy. I am going to continue paying attention to the
important things, breed quality, learning how to do the ChaCha with Saydee,
convincing my daughter to move to Texas, getting my Maddie finished, you know
all the really important things!
I think her post was right on about how odd it is that the AKC delegate
practically put the blame on breeders for their registration numbers being down
without acknowledging the fact that they themselves have a lot to do with it
or?that it cost a lot more to register a dog these days. Other registries are
around to fill a need that AKC chooses not to.
Puppy mills are not a product of "limited" or "unlimited" registrations, not a
product of breeders registering the litters or puppy buyers registering litters
or registration numbers being down. They are a product of greed.
Of course this is just my opinion.
Pam

Msg: #5 in digest
From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: So here's a thought....
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 13:48:06 -0600

Lots of people have mentioned the fact that they see no reason why pet people
should register their dogs and that AKC should cut their costs. Also, many
people felt that AKC (yes, the American Kennel Club) should do some thing to
make it more appetizing for people to register their dogs and get them involved.

Isn't THAT the responsibility of the breeder? Shouldn't the breeder point out
the things that Kathy mentioned (health insurance, etc), plus all the things
you
could do with your registered spayed/neutered dog - obedience, tracking, be
involved in breed clubs, etc?

*