[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: showgsd-l Digest V3 #283- long

  • From: culzeans1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 10:58:46 -0500

I bought my first purebred German Shepherd in 1995 I had been looking for three
yrs, I went to shows, police trials, kennels and more shows and I finally found
her in Modesto Ca. We went to our first fun match when she was 6months old.
That is when I discovered I have stage fright! I threw up 3 times before I
followed 3 other people in the ring. Tahoe was a bi color who never had a
moment of indecison in her life. She saw no reason for not being the first dog
around the ring, she pulled me so hard trying to get ahead of the other 3 dogs.
So the judge put us up front, then Tahoe thought she should stay in front and
again went as fast as she could to prevent any other dog catching her. Between
the laughter and my stomach we took home a 3rd place ribbon. She knew how to
stack, knew how to gait. I had faithfully taken her to class. She did not care
for?the conformation?ring, thought it was a total waste of her time. She always
thought she should be first,because of course, she co
 uld out run anything. But I think what really bothered her was my reaction, I
would throw up and she would not leave my side. So I tried obedience with her,
our first time in, I threw up several times. We did fine until I put her on a
sit/stay. I said sit- Stay and walked away, I hear laughter and then felt her
nose on my hand, she knew how stressed I was and she was not leaving me. How
could I fault her for that? So after that we did only fun things, agility, she
excelled, I taught her to search, she knew the difference between ball, bone,
bowl and brush to name a few.? She learned "focus" and tell 'm to get outta
here. She danced with me. We took over my sons paper route, she knew every
house after the first time(it took me a week!)
My next time in the ring was with her son Bear about 4 yrs later?, my stage
fright was still as bad. We went to our first specialty show, I did not have?a
clue that they were any different than an all breed. Of course I put him in
Bred By, I was so proud of him!? I was recovering from a very serious surgery,
but I thought what the heck, the rings are small!? OK you can all stop laughing
now!!!? The judge was Pearl Wiseman and she was so nice to me. Watched me throw
up and then walk into the ring with my dog. We were 1st in the ring. She said
First time? I said yes and she said she would be easy on us. There were 3 of us
in the ring. I could not wrap my mind around how big the ring was..... I was
panicked! Bear kept looking up at me and his eyes were totally concerned. Ms
Wiseman motioned me to come to her, I did a down and back and then she sent us
back to the line, she had another guy with her who was training or something.
She did that with all of us, then motioned us to go
  around the ring, so off I go.... I was feeling successful as I made it around
that huge ring. Then she motioned for us to keep going....uh oh.... I was
starting to feel sick. I kept going but noticed Bear had slowed his pace and I
was struggling to keep going. I could feel my incision throbbing and hear my
husband on the sideline saying, You take care of her Bear.? I made it back to
the beginning and could hear the handlers behind me trying to slow their dogs
so they didn't run over me. OMGosh did she really say 1 more time??? I did not
know if I could do it.? Ms Wiseman said Wait a minute....comes over to me and
said Sweetie, I have never lost an exhibitor in the ring and I don't want you
to be the first! If you need to walk don't worry, the dogs behind you won't
mind and she looked at the handlers and said WILL YOU?? and both of them said
oh no of course not, Omgosh I was so embarrased and yet I kept going. I made it
(much slower and with Bear directly at my side) one mor
 e time. When I finally made it around, Ms Wiseman stopped me and sai
d Sweetie.... I give you credit and I am not going to excuse you but dear you
are not going to win and I would like you to go stand in 3rd place and wait
until I am done with the other dogs. I was embarrased but at the same time
grateful I was going to live. I stood in 3rd place and Bear leaned into me so I
could continue to stand. He was my rock. Ms Wiseman ran the other two handlers
and dogs 3 more times and then did her placements. When she got to me, she
looked out in the crowd and said This is a brave woman, hope she never does
this again! But this is the essence of a German Shepherd, never say quit. Her
dog stayed with her and was willing to carry her out if necessary and I really
thought it might.
After I left the ring, probably 10 people came up to me and said Please don't
run away for good, most judges won't make you run that ring 6 times! But I met
a lot of people, laughed at myself, my husband made me promise to never do that
again. And yet, I was hooked on dog shows, whether I could go in the ring or
not. Bear is now 10 and 1/2 and still watches over me. I still love being at
the shows, but I don't go in the ring any more!
Pam

. ________________________________
    #1: From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: Proposed "new" AKC Fees ... and we can ...
    #2: From: CHBLACKVELVET@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: showgsd-l Digest V3 #282
    #3: From: joanne conboy <fellswayshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Happy 10th Birthday Maggie
    #4: From: Patricia Evans <patsgsdpups@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Re: The decision to show your dogs.....
    #5: From: Iza Kabuska-Ackerman <izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: WOW !!!  MORE WINS !
    #6: From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Stem Cells Heal Pet's Arthritis
    #7: From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Cautions over Rimadyl
    #8: From: RegattaGSD <regattagsd@xxxxxxx>
        Subject: Canadian Specialties & All Breed Weekend
    #9: From: SholanGS@xxxxxxx
        Subject: Re: Help with a difficult situation/Breeder's Code
    #10:    From: Diane Brantley <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: decision to show your dog

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:45:43 -0800
From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>

It was interesting in that I just wrote in an email to somebody ... if we could
get every animal (emphasis on ANIMAL) ?club in Canada and the U.S. to throw
$100
in a fund, we would rival and surpass the AR groups. ?Then the question
arises... So who would be the holder and manager of this "pot?" ?But imagine
the
possibilities...................

On Feb 1, 2009, at 11:32:30 AM, "Linda Battistoni" <encoregsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I recently proposed to our club that in lieu of purchasing first place awards -
glasses, cups, bowls, toys, etc.?- that the money designated toward that show
expense be sent to one of agencies that fights anti pet legislation.?? I don't
know if it will fly with our club.
?
No matter what award is giv
en out, there are complaints about quality, not
worthwhile, I already have too many ...??
?
This?is?an action?that, while it will be a small $ amount, in the big picture
it
can only help us all.?This is a way to help all exhibitors keep their animals
of
all species !
?
The AKC is not making many friends with the exhibitors with this kind of
proposal/action.
The AKC did not evolve into its present state without growing pains; the other
registries can?develop if the AKC forces exhibitors to find an alternative.

Linda Battistoni
Encore German Shepherds in Northern California
Website:?www.encoregsd.com

--
Stormy Hope
carpoc.org

------------------------------

Msg: #2 in digest
From: CHBLACKVELVET@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:49:55 EST

Why is that Ann?

In a message dated 2/1/2009 3:27:16 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I went to watch a UKC show in December. What a joke! AKC is  still the only
game in town.

Michelle Kaeser
Jovon Shepherds
_www.jovongsd.com_ (http://www.jovonkennels.com/)

**************Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your
credit score.
(http://www.walletpop.com/credit/credit-reports?ncid=emlcntuswall00000002)

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 16:10:04 -0800 (PST)
From: joanne conboy <fellswayshepherds@xxxxxxxxx>

Today is a happy day because my CH Fellsway Meg Ryan OFA, celebrates her 10th
birthday!? Maggie was in the red book a few years ago for #11 top major
producing dam.
Maggie Peach is enjoying the superbowl with us and playing with her toys.? A
little roast beef never hurts either!

I hope you stay with us for many years to come.... We love you Peaches!

Go Cardinals!!!

Joanne Conboy

------------------------------

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 17:24:12 -0800 (PST)
From: Patricia Evans <patsgsdpups@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The decision to show
 your dogs.....

I'm a newbie, so my story doesn't go back very far!? Bought Trouble in 2003,
from Mo Murkland, after groveling, fighting and proving I was worthy.? Of
course, it was on a limited registration.? She wasn't going to sell a dog to
me,
she sure wasn't going to trust me to breed one of her dogs.? 2 years into the
relationship, we had become great email friends.? I popped off, someday, I
might
like to buy another bitch,? and breed a litter of GSD pups.? She said, she'd
change Trouble's limited registration.? The next time Mo had a bitch welping, I
drove like crazy and managed to get to Killeen in time.? I caught # 7.? I went
back at 5 weeks-to see the pups.? So cute.? But managed not to sneak one home.?
When they were 9 weeks, drove through, and Spunky picked me.? I've never seen
anthing like that.? Mo told me that was the one she was going to keep--he was
her show pick.? I figured she was smoking crack....or something.? Show pick??
Looked
 like a cute puppy to me, that obviously was misguided enough to have a
terminal
case of love at first sight for me.? I came back the next day, and took him
home.? He moved differently than Trouble.? He had a presence.? At 4 months, Amy
Murkland came by my house, to take a look at him, and it was showtime!? Of
course, Spunky is also know as Biss Sel. Ex Ch. Konigin's Phantom of the
Opera.?
By the time he started winning his classes, I was hooked!
Trouble never did have pups.? However, does still cause more TROUBLE on a daily
basis, than our 3 other dogs.? I did get the little bitch to breed, and of
course, now having fun showing her-Prada, aka Chablis Stylistic High Heels.?

What a ride!

________________________________
Obviously we all love the GSD breed, but what made you decide to get in
to showing your dogs? How did you find out there were dog shows to
beg
in with? Do you remember your very first show you attended and
then the first one you showed at? How well did you do? Barbara

is Copyrighted 2008.? All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

MANNER
ALL

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 20:28:01 -0500
From: Iza Kabuska-Ackerman <izakabuska@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Today, at the Boardwalk Kennel Club held in Wildwood, NJ, Karizma's Algeria
(Bailey & Tansy) took another major; and my beautiful brown girl, CH Karizma's
Copacabana, was awarded Best of Breed, by Judge William Ashbey.  Both AJ & Lola
were piloted to these wins by the best-there-is-in-the-business, Ms. Leslie
Dancosse, with Donna Calabrese assisting !  These GIRLZ rock !!!  Thank you,
Leslie & Donna for making these wins so much fun !  And thank you, GIRLZ, for
showing AJ that showing IS fun !This is a dog that had his ears pinned back the
first time I showed him last Spring (he looked like he had a "snood" on); and
this weekend he actually did a little skip in between gaiting; and had a silly
look on his face !
Iza Kabuska
http://www.Karizmashepherds.com

------------------------------

Msg: #6 in digest
From:
"Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 20:41:47 -0500

Once the price comes down a little, this should become a regular procedure
http://www2.tbo.com:80/content/2009/jan/30/fh-vet-uses-stem-cells-to-heal-pets/

Mary-Anne

------------------------------

Msg: #7 in digest
From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 20:45:32 -0500

Be careful with any medicine whether it is Rimadyl or Deramaxx
http://www.dog-arthritis-resource.com:80/concerns-over-dog-arthritis-pill-rimadyl/

Mary-Anne

------------------------------

Msg: #8 in digest
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:46:40 -0600
From: RegattaGSD <regattagsd@xxxxxxx>

Plan to attend and help us celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the
German Shepherd Dog Club of Manitoba!  Offering SIX sets of points
for German shepherds in four days, August 6 - 9/09!!
Four All Breed shows - Manitoba Canine Association
Two Specialty shows for GSD - GSDC Manitoba, GSDC Canada Regional
Four All Breed Obedience Trials - One trial boosted for GSD
Central Region Futurity/Maturity Show
Evening celebration barbecue/awards night for our 50th anniversary
Canine Good Neighbor Test

Large outdoor grassy rings.  Onsite camping available, hotels close by.
This is usually a great show weekend with good weather, with the
addition of the GSD specialties and Futurity it's one to put on your
calendars!  There are also 15 other specialties for various breeds
and groups (handlers check it out  http://www.manitoba-canine.ca/spec.html )

CKC approval for judges is pending, once everything is in order we
will post all the information and entry contacts.  Hope to see everyone there!

------------------------------

Msg: #9 in digest
From: SholanGS@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 20:59:59 EST

Does stupid owners qualify as a health issue??   LOL

Owners called up wit
h a complaint My Dog keeps peeing in his Crate if I
leave him for 12 hours... Does that qualify ?  LOL
Stupid Owner... refusing to listen to any sort of advice!

In a message dated 1/28/2009 11:19:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Basically noone.  It doesn't have ANY TEETH built in to make it a  true code
of ethics.  In fact, it is useless as is.  Personally I'd  like to see
something like:
1 st violation PROVEN - 6 month suspension from  the PC and a fine/judgement
equal to the costs incurred by the complaining  party.  Until its paid the
person cannot apply for reinstatement.
2nd  violation PROVEN - 1 year suspension and a fine equal to the TWICE the
cahrges  incurred.  Until paid person cannot apply for reinstatement.
3rd  violation PROVEN - PERMANENT EXPULSION FROM THE PC
In all three cases name  published on the PC website and in the Review with
charges and results just  like AKC does in the Gazette.  MAINTAIN A LIST OF
FOLKS PERMANENTLY  KICKED OUT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE IN THE GAZETTE AND ON THE
WEBSITE to protect  the buying public.  Its time these folks who constantly rip
people off  and laugh about it get a kick in the teeth.  You want to advertise
that  you are a Breeder's Code signer, and infer that you carry the "PC seal of
 approval" then be willing to actually COMPLY with the  requirements!!!!!

NOT JMO!!

Suzanne Kinman

From: Randy Hamm  <gsd4meee@xxxxxxxxx>

> Signer of the Breeders' Code of  Ethics? Who is inforcing this anyway?

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the original
kind  are permitted without prior permission of the original author AND of the

MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH  A
PPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS
FORBIDDEN,
AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW.  VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL BE PROSECUTED.

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org

(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1217883258x1201191827/aol?redir=http://www.dell.com/co
ntent/products/features.aspx/laptops_great_deals&#63;c=us%26cs=19%26l=en%26s=d
hs%26&#126;ck=anavml)

------------------------------

Msg: #10 in digest
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:34:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Diane Brantley <texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx>

I purchased a potential fear biting GSD, my first AKC registered GSD, and
realized he needed some serious training.? I found an obedience class and it
happened to be a competitive AKC obedience class.? Modi's first show was in
Novice A in Wichita Falls, TX.? We NQ'd, Modi busted the long down.? The Fort
Worth GSDC specialty, held at the Holiday in on Alta Mesa Blvd. was the first
GSD specialty show I'd ever seen.??My first conformation show with a serious
conformation dog was the Southwest Region's Futurity held in Arlington, TX.?
River went second Teenaged Dog.? Didier Ardoine (sp) was the judge.
?
Diane

End of showgsd-l Digest V3 #283