[ SHOWGSD-L ] show ring atmosphere

  • From: "Shadara" <shadara@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:05:51 -0700

I never post but thought I would reply to Sara.

Sara as someone who is fairly new to GSD but not new to showing, I would
have to say yes very intimidating and

at times they are just flat rude.

My bitch was in the ring and a "well known" CA GSD handler (not showing my
bitch but was in line next to her and her handler) yelled so the judge could
hear, "I can't believe that dog is out of those two nice dogs".  I have been
showing dogs (different breeds) for over 20 years and have never had someone
scream something about my dog in the ring like that.  Subtle things like run
up on your dog, or try to cover you up in the ring but never out and out
yell something in the ring.  That was a first.

I should mention here that my bitch had been placing every day in that class
and  took a 4pt major that weekend and later finished by going BOB (over
nice specials) from the class and took a Group 1 with a junior handler that
had just aged out showing her.  She went on to get a Group 2 and 4. She was
also a Reserve Futurity Bitch so I CAN believe that she is out of those two
nice dogs. J

I have seen GSD breeders talk their new owners into showing and then stand
outside the ring and bad mouth their dog or

offer them little assistance because all they wanted was the dog there to
make points.

I have had GSD exhibitors come to park their RV late at night behave
rudely.......actually rudely the whole time they were there.  Then there is
the problem a new person has trying to get a good dog and with dealing with
the breeders and their honesty and ethics....there's a whole other issue.

While witnessing some of this, I have often wondered why they don't realize
that you need to encourage new people or else there won't be any dogs to
show against.  I look around and see that most of them (us J) are getting
older and obviously can't show forever.  If I were a new person to showing
and only had GSD's.....I'd be gone.  But I'm not new to showing and GSD's
aren't my main breed to show so I stay on the fringe because I love my
GDS's.

On a positive note............I did find a breeder that did what she said
she would.  She said she would sell me a good dog that could win.  My bitch
did win and is a great dog.  We are going to start Rally and some other
performance things now that she's finished.  Thank you Sheree M. and thanks
to Kathy Hall who was very nice and encouraging whenever my bitch did well.

At the very first Futurity we went to Kathleen Strong and the people in that
club were VERY nice to us. There were also  two very nice ladies at shows in
AZ that actually told me congratulations when my bitch won.  It almost gave
me a heart attack

but I remember them fondly.  There are local people that have been helpful
but some of them I have known forever thru all-breeds.  Showing dogs isn't
the kindest sport no matter what breed you have but here and there,  there
will be people that are nice and are helpful and they will stand out and you
will remember them.  Enjoy your dog and the moments when you do come across
those individuals.

Trudy