[ SHOWGSD-L ] puppy poops

  • From: <crudolf@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Showgsd-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:33:49 +0000

The first thing I would suspect at puppies that age would be coccidia.  Bring a
sample to your vet to confirm or negate.  If it is coccidia and you don't treat
it with Albon or Corrid, you will soon have very run down pups, and they can
die if not treated promptly.  No matter what I do(I keep my puppies in a very
clean environment) my puppies seem to get it.  It is in the ground, the bitches
carry it to them, or something like that.  So when my puppies reach the eating
stage, I dose them with Albon.  Some people use Corrid, which is what I also
use to treat my Alpacas who are also susceptible to coccidia.  The longer you
wait with treatment, the weaker the pups get.  Once you have it on your
property, there is little you can do to keep it from coming back with the next
litter.

Signs to look for:  lethargic pups, pups  that won't eat, loose stools.

Christiane Rudolf, Tanglewood Farm German Shepherds, Alpacas and an Anatolian
Shepherd