[ SHOWGSD-L ] puppy poops

  • From: tam Cordingley <Tam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:25:20 -0500

Question - my 7 week old puppies' stools are about the consistency of thick
pudding, or cow pies, take your pick.  I am thinking they should be more
firm?  They are eating Diamond Puppy, which I wet down (let it soak
overnight) with some dry sprinkled on top.  They are drinking plenty of
water.  What do I need to do differently?  I have had my other puppies on
Diamond and they have done well, so I'm not thinking it's the food.  Is what
I'm giving them too wet?  Suggestions PLEASE!!

I do think the problem may well be the Diamond.  It used to be a good dog
food, but as a friend of mine always says, usta died.  With the terrific
increase of the use of GMO corn in the dog food the stool problems and the
allergy problems have increased dramatically.  The pumpkin does work very
well, as well as the natural yogurt with live cultures, however ( here it
comes Donna), we've found that raising puppies on biologically appropriate
raw food, ie: what they would eat if they were wolves, produces the
strongest puppies with the least digestive upsets.  Our babies, and those we
raise for others, are fed chicken backs and ground or steamed veggies from 3
weeks on, plus kelp and now we've added raw goat's milk.  They are strong,
much less wobbly than traditionally fed pups, lovely coats, tight stools
with no stool eating, and they are clean.  They also seem to develop better
mentally.  Strong temperaments with very little aggression or hyperactivity.

Tam
Foxridge
NC