[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: possibly micoplasma?

  • From: Doctrcorgi@xxxxxxx
  • To: irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:59:58 EST

Well Doris, there are a couple of things that come to mind right off the
bat...Mycoplasma , Herpes, and simply a bacterial infection of some nature.
With
Mycoplasma, often there will be evidence of the pups starting to die around 53
days..so some will be more developed as they die over a period of 10
days....With Mycoplasma, there are often very small pups born alive and then
die in a
day or so..When I have a litter with any tiny pups I will give the normal pups
son baytrill injections immediatly..like 1/20th of a cc for a 12 oz pup...
  With Herpes, the pups may look normal at birth and then die over a period
of a few days. They usually have  tonic seizures...They stiffen out like a
skydiver as he leaves the plane. They will remain in that seizure for almost a
minute then relax and again go into another seizure in a short time.  They then
may be OK for a matter of hours and the process repeats.....On the other hand
they may just fade...Impression smears from the liver is the best way to find
the virus bodies.Supposedly, the bitch will only have one litter that will die.
She is supposed to develop antibodies against Herpes so that her next litter
will get colostrum with antibodies and thus avoid the Herpes developing...NOT
so all the time...I had a Rott who had a first litter die...we checked her and
she had Herpes...Next litter we thought the pups would be safe..not so ..they
all died..The third litter we too some on the dams blood at 55 days of her
pregnancy, separated the serum, then froze it until the pups were born. At
birth
I gave each pup 1cc of serum by mouth and all lived..finally.

  Other bacterial infections can be cultured from the dead puppies livers,
lungs, peritoneal cavities...Also the fetal membranes....I do think if you are
losing pups it is wise to give the living puppies Baytrill injections...And I
done think you are saving misfits that were meant to die!

Chuck kruger dvm