[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: positives of debarking

  • From: "Cyndy Davis" <cyndyinseattle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx, pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 14:17:51 -0700

Cyndy Davis
www.texasdogs.com
Callian German Shepherds

If you're going to do it, my vet (who shows and breeds also) told me the
only way to do a thorough job of it is to go through an incision in the
throat and remove the vocal chords. He said snipping them may or may not
work, and scar tissue will form after time and the dog will bark as loud as
before.

My Pap was debarked 18 months ago, and she still barks almost as loudly and
as voraciously, fanatically as before. (which I expect, except the loud
part)

I agree it's much humaner than a bark collar, and the dogs don't know the
difference. I would never debark ALL of them, but might consider it for the
most persistent barkers.

I'm not sure...but would think about it.

>From: gsdlady28@xxxxxxx
>To: pruett@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] positives of debarking
>Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 02:22:35 -0400
>
>Just a few thoughts for your anti-debarking bill....having grown up in
>Hawaii, where your neighbors live literally a stones throw away, I totally
>understand the value of this procedure! It really is the most humane way to
>deal with a barker and keep your neighbors from either poisening your dogs
>or turning you in! We have had it done to a couple of dogs in the past, not
>everyone, just the more persistant mouthy ones.....and what a relief it
>was!

Live Search Maps ? find all the local information you need, right when you
need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01