[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: "perceptions"

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: bruiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:17:23 EDT

In a message dated 6/27/2005 10:10:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bruiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Anyway,  I think we can change the perception of most people.  I think
it's  important to talk to people and showcase our dogs in a positive
way.   It's important for the public to see the good ones too.

Reminds me of the time CH Cody was going for his PT.  We had  arrived early
on a blistering hot day to help the club members put tents up and  set up
wading pools for the dogs.  At one point over 100 sheepies needed to  be
brought in
from fields and sorted into different pens for different  levels of
competition.  One of the stock handlers took his Aussie and Cody  and did the
bringing
in and the sorting.  The Aussie was also an intact  male, one we certainly
didn't know, but I expect my males to mind their business  and get along and
apparently the Aussie had attended the same religion class. It  was dusty, hot
work convincing the sheep they didn't want to stay out and graze.  When they
were
through both males jumped in the same wading pool and lay  down w/ their
bellies in  the cool water.

Unknown to me there herding judges had arrived.  Later in the day,  when we
completed our PT run, the judge stopped me and complimented me on the  job the
dog did not only in the PT run, but asked wasn't he the one earlier in  the
day working with another dog to gather the sheep. I said he was.   Her next
comment was "It's been a long time since I've seen movement and  temperament
like
that in a GSD.  I just hate what the show people have done  to the breed."
Well, when a judge is handing you a qualifying score sheet,  it's not time to
"educate", and I mumbled "thank you for the nice comments about  my dog".

Later in the day, well after judging, a very flustered judge approached me
stammering an apology.  Seems when she had received her marked copy of the
catalog she saw the "CH" in front of his name.

I's fine to educate and it's nice to have the opportunity to change
perceptions, but it's a shame to have to; ESPECIALLY with people that are "dog
people" out and about w/ dogs.  Oh, the following day we specialed him in  NJ.
remember it was hotter than h*** that day too.  We went BOS to  a lovely BIS
bitch.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_