[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: panacur for giardia

  • From: JANGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: dan-ann@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:15:44 EDT

Giardia Protozoa (Dog Diarrhea, Vomiting & Weight Loss)

Giardia Protozoa
Giardia Protozoa is a organism that is often present in the gut of a dog or
human and when the system gets stressed, this organism will rear it's ugly
head. The problem is, that it is next to impossible to find in a stool check.
For
some dogs loose stools are just a commercial kibble sensitivity and a change
in _brand _ (http://www.eaglepack.com/) and _high powered microencapsulated
probiotics_
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php/All_Supplements-Pet_Supplements-Digestive_Health/pid-50?gid=4)
 , and that fixes the problem.

Now if this loose stool issue returns even with a change in diet, then we
know this is usually a parasite and the most hideous of all is the Giardia
Protozoa. Most dogs with this loose stool issue end up being treated over and
over
with Flagyll or Metronidazole, it clears up for a while then returns. It is a
very frustrating problem for both vets and owners. Giardia is a problem in the
large/giant breeds in particular due to the stress their body's are under
during those first few months of development. Giardia is an enormous problem
with
rescue dogs because they have been neglected and compromised on many levels
before they get into a foster situation.

I can NOT emphasize enough that giardia tests rarely find this parasite,
because of the cycle of this organism it is next to impossible to find. I
personally would forget the testing and just go ahead and worm with Panacur.
Right
now, it is the only thing working with success but it has to be used once for 3
days, then again in 10 days. Info below
All I can do is tell you what I would do if the dog was mine - but I am not a
vet, so you have to decide what to do, just what ever you do, do NOT worm
this dog or put the dogs on antibiotic without backing up the digestive track
with a _high powered microencapsulated probiotic_
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php/All_Supplements-Pet_Supplements-Digestive_Health/pid-50
?gid=4) - not just your every day yogurt or probiotic, it will not do it in
this case.
____________________________________
 WHAT TO DO:
You can purchase these recommended supplements in _KIT #21 - GIARDIA SUPPORT_
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php?pid=70)
 (http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/)
1) I would Panacur from your vet or purchase_ Panacur _
(http://www.medi-vet.com/panacur.aspx) at Medi-Vet- and worm the dog myself for
3 days. Follow the
instructions for worming. Then in 10 days after the last worming, I'd take the
3 day dosage (3 packets, dump out on a piece of wax paper and divide it into
6 even piles and wrap in wax paper and store in a dry place. Each day put 1/2
of the dose of Panacur on the dogs food, mix in a little Eagle canned meat.
The point is to try and catch this bugger at the part of the cycle that it is
vulnerable.
2) I would put my dog on daily double doses of _BacPakPlus probiotics_ (http
://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php?pid=50)  - It is my
experience that NO other probiotic will work for this extreme problem.
3) I would use MSM, not just any brand but VitaFlex because it has been
around the longest and this info on MSM and Giardia was in their research and
patent information.

MSM patent (#4,616,039) research information on MSM, states"the dosage for
treating Giardia to be 500 mg - 3 times a day for two weeks, then continue with
1000 mg a day to help prevent Giardia re-infestation. Once an animal/human has
Giardia infestation, they may have a reoccurrence of it throughout out their
life." So keep that in mind. According to the Vita-Flex label you can double
this dose under stress. Contact: _www.firstchoicenaturals.com_
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php?pid=6)  OR 800-937-1104.
The following instructions from the container are for Canine use of MSM. 1/4
teaspoon = 1000 mg or 1 gram

1- 45 lb. - 1/4 teaspoon
45-90 lb. - 1/2 teaspoon
above 90 lb. - 3/4 teaspoon

Give these amounts twice a day for 10 days. If you notice any relief in your
pet's symptoms, you can move down to once a day. You may choose to continue
the double dose indefinitely if it takes that amount for relief of symptoms.
When in doubt contact the company.
4).I would use_ Blackleaf _
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php?pid=43) daily on their
food, it is natural wormer and will work on
giardia in the inbetween times.
5). _Nzymes granulars_
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php?pid=27)
(http://firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php/All_Supplements-Pet_Supplements-Immune_Health/pid-27?gid=5)
 - to detoxify the body and restore
wellness due to nutritional losses caused by Giardia and other parasites.
6). _Spark of Life_
(http://www.firstchoicenaturals.com/Index/showroom.php?pid=21)  - trace
minerals, critical to the bodies metabolism, are lost with
diarrhea or chronic loose stools and these must be replaced!
____________________________________

AN EXAMPLE:
Pet owner writes: "We had her stool checked again for Giardia it was
negative, of course".
My Response: "From all that you are telling me, this dog has Giardia - you
simply can't find it! It is so hard to find you just need to treat for it. Do
this...worm her with Panacur - do it for 3 days, then in 10 days take the same
dosage you have for 3 days and divide that into 10 days. This Giardia is
IMPOSSIBLE to find. Everything you tell me says this is a giardia dog and you
won't
get relief until you get this cleared up. I know one pre-vet student that
ended up taking her dog to work with her, pulling  fresh stool samples 3 times
day for several days before they actually found it - and here she is working
with the vets right there in the laboratory at UC Davis and even they didn't
find it! You have nothing to lose to try my suggestion because at this point
nothing else is working."
Owners Response After Following My Suggestion:

We saw a new vet at the office and I convinced her to treat for Giardia with
Panacur, per your suggestion.  Within 2 days, her stools looked better than I
had seen in a long time.  Within a week, she gained 3 pounds.  She still isn't
eating a lot yet , but 2 1/2 cups dry and 1 can is better than barely 1 cup
dry with gravy per day.  She's gaining weight!  She's definitely feeling
better.  Anyway, thanks again.  I REALLY APPRECIATE everything. - TSM
____________________________________

A CLOSE LOOK AT GIARDIA
A Word About Giardia - this is a waterborne protozoa (a parasite, but not a
worm) which is VERY difficult to detect. Only at certain cycles will the cysts
be noticeable in the stool which makes it next to impossible to detect. To
test for this you need to to have the vet go up inside the rectum with a loop
and
take a fresh/warm sample of stool from the dog in order to get an accurate
reading. You canâ??t bring one in in a baggie! Even if the dog shows up as
negative for Giardia, and the dog exhibits any of these symptoms, you need to
discuss
with your vet the necessity to treat for Giardia, in order to rule out any
infestation.
    *   Intermittent loose stools (most dogs have this and it can happen to
puppies).
    *   Will not gain weight
    *   Poor appetite
    *   Some dogs will eat but keep losing weight
    *   Graze on grass excessively
    *   Gassy
Anytime you have a dog that will not gain weight, is on/off their feed and/or
with intermittent loose stools, gas or diarrhea, you should check for Giardia
first, before you start running up vet bills looking for other health
problems. Sometimes these dogs will not eat, because Giardia causes such
stomach
upset and severe cramping. It is because of this, they will often graze on
grasses
excessively.

Giardia is a very big problem, one that goes undetected by most veterinarians
Carol Turkington writes, "Once an infestation of Giardia, it often reoccurs.
Giardia is spread by food or water contaminated by the Giardia protozoan
organism found in the intestinal tract and feces. When the cysts are ingested,
the
stomach acid degrades the cysts and releases the active parasite into the
body. Once within the body, the parasites cling to the lining of the small
intestine, reproduce, and are swept into the fecal stream. As the liquid
content of
the bowel dries up, the parasites form cysts, which are then passed in the
feces. Once excreted, the cysts can survive in water for more than three
months.
The parasite is spread further by direct fecal-oral contamination, such as can
occur if food is prepared without adequate hand-washing, or by ingesting the
cysts in water or food."

Turkington goes on to state, "Diagnosis can be difficult because it can be
easy to overlook the presence of the Giardia cysts during a routine inspection
of a stool specimen. In the past, the condition has been diagnosed by examining
three stool samples for the presence of the parasites. However, because the
organism is shed in some stool samples and not others, the infection may not be
discovered using this method. A newer, more accurate method of diagnosing the
condition is the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) that detects cysts
and antigen in stool, and is approximately 90% accurate. While slightly more
expensive, it only needs to be done once and is therefore less expensive
overall than the earlier test."
Generally, Flagyll, Metronidazole and Panacur are often used for Giardia, and
repeated again in 2 weeks if the symptoms have not subsided. In 2001, Flagyll
(Metronidazole) appeared effective in only about 60% of the cases.
"Currently, some vets feel the effectiveness of Flagyl (Metronidazole) is down
to 40%.
Known side effects of Flagyl are nausea, disorientation, yeast growth, liver
failure depression, regurgitation, and nerve damage".
* I have been told by several vets, the best course is to use Panacur for 3
days and repeat it again in 2 weeks, taking the same 3 day dosage and dividing
it up over 10 days to get it at all stages of the cycle. I have recently read
that Flagyll and Metronidazole are only 40% effective any more, so discuss
this with your vet and ask about the use of Panacur.
* _www.holisticbirds.com_ (http://www.holisticbirds.com/)

This is another waterborne parasite that vets do not test for but could be at
the root of your problem. Ask you vet to read about Cryptosporidiosis
_http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/cryptosporidiosis/default.htm_
(http://www.cdc.gov/Ncidod/dpd/parasites/cryptosporidiosis/default.htm)

_FEED PROGRAM FOR GIARDIA SUPPORT_
(http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_giardia.htm)