[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ..... no Penn Hip

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DaList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 08:27:38 -0500

See below- sending to the list since my post bounced!

On Saturday, August 1, 2015, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hey Jen;

I am aware that you were talking about other tests involved in the
$500. expenses. { :o)

But I'm speaking only to the Penn Hip / OFA issue.

I do not have any faith in Penn Hip and feel absolutely NO need for their
method, and opt to not

throw money at them for ANY reason. Nothing to do with being a
'nerd', as most good breeders

are just as concerned as you yourself ~ and have done more than their
share of research also.

I like the numbers and is why I mentioned my nerdyness actual measurements
fascinate me, rather than saying "this looks x" and is what works for ME.

I believe that concerned breeders are the REASON the GSD has moved way
down on the list of

breeds with hip and elbow problems.

Absolutely. I have to tell clients all the time that there are 40 AKC
breeds with worse hips than GSDs by the OFA statistics! I have had people
fight me on it until I show them the OFA website with the proof in black
and white! Very shocking that people don't want to believe those
statistics... Even when they're shown the truth about the overall
improvement in our breed's dogs being screened via OFA.

Regarding your "different eyes" theory....we have several Vets ( and
Breeders ) in California that

have been reading X-rays on the GSD since before dirt...and some before
Penn Hip....and we are

right alongside them every time we have a dog X-rayed. I do NOT believe
they are one iota more

"subjective" than the Penn Hip method.

I never said PH was subjective at all. It is an objective measurement, and
why I like it in addition to OFA. I never said one was better than the
other, but that they are different... Like the tread depth on a tire vs
how it fits on a rim. 2 different things being looked at, but both
important in my own eyes.

I have no conscience about feeling we personally don't

want to, nor need to add Penn Hip to the equation.... nor do we need our
Breed Club's

recommendations for us to do what is right. <G>

I fully agree with that PH should NOT be added to mandatory testing
either. For a variety of reasons: one large one being availability; that
is is a very long CE process for a veterinarian to become PH certified,
they are not available to everyone in every area. What would those people
then do? Go without? I don't find that to be a good idea at all. I should
much rather see our dogs get OFA tested rather than nothing at all,
wouldn't we all agree on that point?
OFA has much more availability, and so long as the veterinarian signs off
on the papers for submission, they don't even have to be present when the
radiograph is taken. Performing radiographs is a technician's job to do,
and therefore makes it much easier to schedule a dog in and get the animal
done in a timely manner.
Two: I love that OFA requires a dog to be at least 2 years old in order to
be permanently certified! I do not believe, especially in our breed, that
a dog is fully grown and matured before then! I am a firm believer in
waiting for maturity before even bothering with doing health testing (well
except for the kind that is not affected by age- such as DNA tests and
things like dentition for example - once the adult teeth are in, they're
in!). I rather dislike early testing (and refuse to to early PennHIP even
though they certify young- again, my opinion, but I like maturity to happen
first! OFA has the market cornered on mature dog testing.
Just because I like using the tools available from more than one box and
make them available for my use, doesn't mean that's necessarily best for
everyone. We're all entitled to our own preferences; and what is right or
wrong about a personal opinion but to the person opining?
In the end, what counts is that we all are doing what we feel best for our
personal breeding programs, and that we're happy with what we're up to,
right? :-D
I know that I would take an additional elbow test for my dogs if there were
one available; all the inconsistencies between different test registries
looking at the same hub the tire fits on and often giving different answers
makes ME want other clarification is all. I would no sooner shove required
PH testing down anyone's throat than as I would say about how one must keep
their dogs, other than with their welfare at heart; and we are all here on
this very list because we have that very thing in each of our minds.

With respect
Jen P & her Pack

--
Committed to the Total Dog You can be Proud of!!! JayDee's Proud-Haus
Shepherds/Proud K911 <http://www.jaydeesphs.com>