[ SHOWGSD-L ] newbies/oldbies

  • From: suzanne moore <cmrz4345@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 13:30:13 -0700 (PDT)

With everyone weighing in on this matter of "disgust" and "delete/unsubscribe",
why not make a few cranky comments of my own? Back in the early 70's I became
formally involved in the sport of showing a breed that I had loved for most of
my life.My parents had a Cocker Spaniel when I was about 10 yrs. old, but for
the last half-century I have not owned any breed than a GSD. I was so excited
about being able to immerse myself in GSD's, other than as pets. This was in
the days of Lance, Mike, and Judd(among many other fabulous GSD's) and GSD's
were second only to Poodles in AKC registrations. Those were heady days! I
loved the National, the conformation shows, and the local club meetings.
Unfortunately,life (college, career, wife's medical school, etc.) forced me to
forego activities in the breed. I desperately missed that involvement and only
my own fantastic GSD's kept me from being really depressed. The only thing I
didn't miss were the people in the breed. Yes, I had the
 great good fortune to have been mentored by a few people who only had the
betterment of the breed in mind. They had learned to ignore all the politics,
back-biting, and small-mindedness that seemed pervasive. Remember when GV
Harrigan was believed to have a square testicle? Now, lo' these decades later I
found myself in a position finally to get re-involved in GSD's. A Breeder
suggested that I join The List for the wonderful information education, and
connection I could make to the breed again. So I did. I'll be damned if it
wasn't the same ol' crap as before, only now with the internet to make it all
the more immediate, far-reaching, and vicious. Yes, when we lose the Joan
Fords, Sally Holcombes, Dick Whalens, and many fabulous animals critical to the
breed, we do come together in the impact of those losses to us individually and
to the future of the breed. But, boy that sorrow and reaffirmation dissipates
quickly and we are back the depressing, and yes disgusting,
 rhetoric that permeates The List. I suppose my naive idealism of those early
days probably makes me more sensitive and  reactive to the realisms of
today.This breed isnt what it used to be and the lackt of interest and
participation by "Newbies" is reaching critical mass. Remember, these"Newbies"
are the future of the best breed in  dogdom. When we old farts all die off, in
whose hands will rest the future of our beloved breed? There is so much
knowledge and experience in this family that if we truly  team up for the sake
of our dogs, then we wouldn't be dysfunctional! I guess the 60's die hard for
me.
  Charlie Moore