[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: new question

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <denwil2007@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 23:35:45 -0400

The "old time" way was to always say "buy the very best bitch you can."
Sometimes, that wasn't a very good one...and I believe firmly that the
recommendation was made so that when the bitch was a total flop in the ring,
you could breed it and sell puppies.
    Personally I believe it is best to start with a male...
you aren't tempted to breed it, usually, and anyway, most of the time your
chances of getting a star are better when you get a male...............you
can make all your mistakes, learn to groom, learn the ins and outs of
showing and all that jazz...and then do obedience or have a nice pet, maybe
a champion pet, and after proving yourself you'll find it easier to get a
really good bitch.
       People aren't always as crazy to keep males because most males don't
become "in demand" as stud dogs...the temptation to breed just isn't
there.......
      there's more to my theory but I just went thru a SCREAMING board
meeting of my terrier club and need to get some sleep...these people wear me
out.
I swear that there are people I know (and three of them on my club Board)
that when they die, I'm going to pay for the grave's headstone, just so I
can have it read
"I fought like mad to maintain the status quo, even when it destroyed my
club"
   Peggy