[ SHOWGSD-L ] need help for a puppy

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 21:04:56 -0400 (EDT)

today i received a phone call followed up with the  following email - the
owners of this puppy are looking for any and all help they  can get re the
problems their pup is having, i've included the body of their  email so i
wouldn't omit or confuse the issue(s). can ANYONE out there offer any
suggestions as to how to help these folks? thanks in advance,
diane

"Our German Shepherd puppy was born on May 3rd 2013. Weaned onto raw food.
We brought him home on  June 27th at 7/12 weeks old. We continued feeding
him the same raw chicken based  food but within the first week he went off
this food and wouldn't eat. We  switched him to kibble and he ate well.

At 12 weeks he went to see our vet for his first  booster shot. She
commented he looked underweight, and then told us she thought  he had some kind
of
neuropathy, evident in his back leg. She was not specific,  and when asked
what we should do about it she suggested we keep walking him and  exercising
him and massage his foot to help him become aware of his rear foot. This was
not obviously apparent to us. He walked  well and looked like a growing
gangly GSD puppy to us.

He continued to put on weight and enjoyed his  walks. We occasionally took
him on 1 hr long walks which he seemed to have no  problem with.

On Tuesday, August 27th  we took him for a long walk but then noticed he
was dragging his rear right leg  on the way back. His foot was turning under
and scraping his toe  nails.

The next day, Wednesday, 28th  August at age 16 1/2 weeks, he saw the vet.
He had his booster  vaccinations. His right rear leg and foot were clearly
dragging by now.
They took blood tests for Cryptococcus, Neospora  Caninum and Toxoplasma.

On Thursday 29th August,  our vet started him on Clindamycin 150 mg 2 x
day, to treat a possibility of  Neospora infection. His condition continued to
worsen. On Sunday 1st September  we increased the dose to 150mg 3 times a
day.

It is now Wednesday 4th  September and his condition continues to worsen.
His right rear leg is  flaccid, has no sensation of pain. He does manage to
stand on all fours and walk  temporarily when positioned correctly, but
quickly falls onto his right hip. He  then drags himself by his forelimbs. He
is
eating, and looks mentally alert, but  is much more tired than normal and
sleeps a lot.

All blood  tests came back negative this  afternoon."

Diane  Silver-Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
_Skatiebug'z_ (http://skatiebugz.shutterfly.com/)  The online store for
everything German Shepherd and then some!
_http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com_ (http://skatiebugz.blogspot.com/)
Skater's Blog