[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: need help for a puppy

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx" <Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 21:27:55 -0500

OMG how horrible!  I, too, have a pup from my litter born 3 May- I just would
be both panicked and heartbroken to see something like this happen to mine (or
one of her siblings)!
I would certainly at minimum, suggest lumbar spine/pelvic radiographs... Better
yet would be to put pup in an MRI. Much better diagnostics on soft tissue &
nerves with a MRI. Best one can do really there that way.
If the pup is otherwise normal, no fever, etc., I would be most inclined to
believe this may be a neurological problem...
The only other thing I can think is pup possibly had a fall-injury-whatever and
perhaps a bone chip nicked his sciatic nerve and damaged it?  Though I most
often saw that problem from HBCs... The end effect was the same- nerve cut,
loss of function for the affected limb.
Does the pup have any function in the leg at all?  Any sensory function (like
if owners pinch toe webbing to look for a reflex)?
So very sad for everyone involved. Things like this just don't sound like a
good prognosis. However- if its just the one rear leg that's "no good", at
least it's a back one. Tripod dogs do better with both front legs in my
experience... I'd hate to see pup lose a leg, but he's young enough to not miss
it if they can't get it fixed.
I will pray that this problem doesn't spread to affect other areas and that
answers will get found quickly and maybe the pup can be saved...
Jen P & the Pack knowing what it's like to not have a good working leg too

JayDee's Proud-Haus Shepherds/Proud K911
www.jaydeesphs.com
Committed to the Total Dog you can be Proud of!!!
AKC Breeder of Merit