[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: ] nationals

  • From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
  • To: shephaven@xxxxxxxxxxx, Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:15:26 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2005 7:24:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
shephaven@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> PS What do other National clubs do?

I know the BCOA(Borzoi Club of America) rotates their nationals all over the
country.  This year, it will be very near Dallas(not hours of drive time from
Dallas/Fort Worth.  One year it was IN Atlanta, was in Reno, in Columbus, OH
and even here in my backyard of the Catskills in NY.  Their Nationals typically
last for 7 days, entries of approx 700-1000, indoor and outdoor.  Once you ge
there, you never have to leave the site as all activities are on site.  The
host hotel does take dogs and these are some pretty large dogs!  There are no
"off breeds" entered in any activity, all borzoi only. They have informative
seminars and clinics.  You can choose to stay elsewhere and eat elsewhere but
the accomodations are great for all.  They may not have herding venues but they
do have lure coursing and there are no stalls.  You keep the dogs as if you
were attending any other show circuit--vehicles, hotel rooms or just plain
tagging along!  A very large exercise area is set up for dogs to get some
running
in just for winding down and getting rid of some pent up energy.  Their n
ationals are in April-May time frame. Always before the embargo sets in on
shipping.
 Most people drive or "pool" with those driving and some fly.  They need 700
crates for flying.

Unless things have changed, a friend I know who has English Mastiffs told me
they rotate east to west.  So, one of their Nationals could be, theoretically,
west side of Texas and east side in a given rotation.  (Of course, THAT is
one BIG state!!)  Country is split in the middle, somehow, and go from there
and
rotate within those parameters.

St Bernard Nationals, I think are coming up soon,  boast of an entry of 250
dogs!  A woman I work with is going with her dog, I believe, to Virginia.  They
rotate in some fashion, as well.

This is all I know of.  Aren't ya glad you asked??!!  LOL!

Chris K
"Do Right and Fear No One" --from the Stephanitz Family Crest