[ SHOWGSD-L ] like a box of chocolates

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemplete@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show GSD List" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:00:58 -0500

A few observations:
1. Entering GSDs at all-breeds is like Forest's box of chocolates. You never
know what you're going to get because MOST (notice I didn't say all) AB judges
are clueless when it comes to judging GSDs, and the rings more often than not
are not suitable for judging GSDs anyways.
2. There is a breeder that I know who has bred thousands of GSDs and finished
hundreds. Not one of them is correct. They're very hairy, straight in the front
and rear, can't move out of their own way, and all look essentially like
Lassie. All-breed judges love them and finish boodles of them because they
think they're correct. Needless to say they can't win at Specialties under
judges who know the breed and know motion.
3. I challenge the all-breed show defenders to get one good one and take it
from start to finish at Specialties, and then come back and tell me that
winning in both venues is equally challenging and equally rewarding.
4.I recently saw a hot special win BOB at a show. She's a trimmed coat, and
that is obvious to anyone who knows the breed. Problem is the judges don't know
the breed, so they put her up. And please don't tell me long coat is no big
deal. Trimming them for the ring is against the rules, so if someone wants to
show one, show it as it is.
5. "A good dog can win in both rings" sounds great, but the good ones will
often NOT win in the AB ring when they obviously should. Why would anyone want
to take a really good one under AB judges that don't know the breed?
6. Make me a list of  influential breeders that show almost exclusively at
all-breeds and made their reputation there. Now make me a list of  influential
breeders  that show almost exclusively at Specialties and made their reputation
there. Which list is longer?
7. The majority of people who show exclusively at all-breeds don't know what a
good one is which is why they're willing to accept the opinion of AB judges who
don't know what a good one is.
8.If you have to show a dog 200 times at AB shows to finish it, it's not a good
one. You can finish a three-legged goat if you have enough money and diligence.
9. I wish there were more good AB judges because there are so many close AB
shows, but if wishes were horses beggars would ride.
10.The business about Specialy dogs "just racing around the ring" is
essentially baloney continually spouted by people who just don't know.
11. This whole AB vs. Specialty argument has been going on for a very long
time. It's fun and tiresome at the same time.
12. Things have changed because life is change. For example, look in the
mirror.   Smile.    Breathe.    The Futurities are smaller. They're going to
stay smaller no matter what we do, so let's figure out how to adjust and make
the best of what is.
13.These are my honest opinions and in no way meant to offend anyone. We all
get to show wherever we want to show and believe what we want to believe. Life
is good.

tom elkins
www.firethorntemple.com