[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: like a box of chocolates

  • From: RChesnut70502@xxxxxxx
  • To: firethorntemplete@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 19:17:01 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/2010 6:01:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
firethorntemplete@xxxxxxxxx writes:
A few  observations:
1. Entering GSDs at all-breeds is like Forest's box of  chocolates. You
never know what you're going to get because MOST (notice I  didn't say all) AB
judges are clueless when it comes to judging GSDs, and the  rings more often
than not are not suitable for judging GSDs anyways.
2.  There is a breeder that I know who has bred thousands of GSDs and
finished  hundreds. Not one of them is correct. They're very hairy, straight in
the  front and rear, can't move out of their own way, and all look
essentially like  Lassie. All-breed judges love them and finish boodles of them
because they  think they're correct. Needless to say they can't win at
Specialties
under  judges who know the breed and know motion.
3. I challenge the all-breed  show defenders to get one good one and take
it from start to finish at  Specialties, and then come back and tell me that
winning in both venues is  equally challenging and equally rewarding.
4.I recently saw a hot special  win BOB at a show. She's a trimmed coat,
and that is obvious to anyone who  knows the breed. Problem is the judges
don't know the breed, so they put her  up. And please don't tell me long coat
is
no big deal. Trimming them for the  ring is against the rules, so if
someone wants to show one, show it as it  is.
5. "A good dog can win in both rings" sounds great, but the good ones  will
often NOT win in the AB ring when they obviously should. Why would anyone
want to take a really good one under AB judges that don't know the  breed?
6. Make me a list of  influential breeders that show almost  exclusively at
all-breeds and made their reputation there. Now make me a list  of
influential breeders  that show almost exclusively at  Specialties and made
their
reputation there. Which list is longer?
7. The  majority of people who show exclusively at all-breeds don't know
what a good  one is which is why they're willing to accept the opinion of AB
judges who  don't know what a good one is.
8.If you have to show a dog 200 times at AB  shows to finish it, it's not a
good one. You can finish a three-legged goat if  you have enough money and
diligence.
9. I wish there were more good AB  judges because there are so many close
AB shows, but if wishes were horses  beggars would ride.
10.The business about Specialy dogs "just racing around  the ring" is
essentially baloney continually spouted by people who just don't  know.
11. This whole AB vs. Specialty argument has been going on for a very  long
time. It's fun and tiresome at the same time.
12. Things have changed  because life is change. For example, look in the
mirror.    Smile.    Breathe.    The Futurities are smaller. They're  going
to stay smaller no matter what we do, so let's figure out how to adjust  and
make the best of what is.
13.These are my honest opinions and in  no way meant to offend anyone. We
all get to show wherever we want to show and  believe what we want to
believe. Life is good.

tom elkins
_www.firethorntemple.com_ (http://www.firethorntemple.com)

Finally someone who really gets IT!!!  Way to go Tom for telling it  like
it is.

Randy C.