[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: let's think about it

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:09:36 EDT

BOARD OF DIRECTORS
SPECIAL MEETING
June 12, 2005
The Special Meeting, convened on Sunday, June 12, 2005, at 8:00 a.m., was
called to discuss
AKCâ??s position on the Pet Animal Welfare Statute (PAWS) of 2005 bill,
introduced by Senator
Santorum to amend the Animal Welfare Act. All Directors were present except
Dr. Mays. Also in
attendance were the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Secretary, as well
as Noreen
Baxter, AKC Vice President of Communications, Stephanie Lane, AKC Director of
Canine
Legislation, and Dr. James Holt, AKCâ??s Federal Government Relations
consultant.
Mr. Crowley related his recollection of the Executive Session held May 10th,
regarding PAWS.
Mr. Crowley reported that Dr. Holt had clearly indicated to the Board that
the PAWS legislation
was going forward with a numerical threshold used to define a dealer, and AKCâ??
s options were
to continue working with the Congressional staff to get the highest number
possible or to refuse
to support any bill with a numerical threshold, thus removing itself from the
process. At that time
the Board authorized Dr. Holt to work to get the highest number possible.
Following a thorough discussion, a motion was made by Mr. Merriam, seconded
by Mr.
Goodman, and it was VOTED (affirmative: Mr. Merriam, Mr. Goodman, Dr. Garvin,
Dr. Haines,
Mr. Menaker, Mr. Gladstone, Mrs. Schaefer; Ms. Scully; opposed: Mrs. Strand,
Dr. Battaglia, Mr.
Marden, Dr. Davies; absent: Dr. Mays) that: the Board reaffirms support of
the principles in the
PAWS bill, reserving the right as the legislation proceeds, to make
suggestions for the
improvement of the bill.
Adjourned at 10:05 a.m.

In a message dated 7/24/05 11:59:20 AM, Stormy435 writes:

> I will check Board Minutes for you, but I know Carmen and three other BOARD
> members voted against supporting the PAWS bill.  They (obviously) were in
> the minority.  It was NEVER presented to the full delegates meeting.  Then
> next
> delegates meeting should be interesting.
>
> Stormy Hope
>
> In a message dated 7/24/05 11:55:54 AM, ELG440@xxxxxxx writes:
>

> I am now officially confused. I was told that all who voted at the  AKC
> voted
> to support PAWS, with the exception of Carmen and three others.   I didn't
> hear that only the board voted, but if so, how many voted to support  PAWS,

www.FairhopeGSD.com