[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: let the membership decide?

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 20:16:07 -0400

On Fri, 16 Aug 2013 16:42:30 -0400, The Crystal Crow
<thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I find it hard to believe that something can be stated to be "simply not
>true" when in fact it is stated clearly on the AKC website:
>http://www.akc.org/reg/fss_details.cfm
>

>THIS IS, IN FACT, TRUE: The FSS® is not open to "rare" breeds that are a
>variation of an AKC-registrable breed or the result of a combination of two
>AKC-recognized breeds. This includes and is not limited to differences such
>as size (over and under), coat type, coat colors, and coat colors and/or
>types that are disqualifications from Conformation Events by AKC breed
>standards.

It's all fine and good to quote from the rules and regs of
AKC on the FSS program, but what you are not considering
is this: the Berger Blanc Suisse *IS*, in fact, an actual
stand-alone breed registered and recognized around the
world... pretty much everywhere EXCEPT here in North
America. Even the mighty SV had no problem with its
introduction and establishment in Germany or elsewhere.

I have been following the establishment of the FSS since
the beginning of the program. I believe the above section
of the rules was meant to prevent the possibility of new
"breeds" that don't exist anywhere else except in the
minds of the breeders breeding them -- or perhaps within
organizations such as Continental KC. There are a good
many fully established breeds around the world that
originally came from a parent breed with a
disqualification or fault. These breeds are doing just
fine, thank you, and fully recognized by FCI. I guarantee
you, they WILL be brought to this country some day, if
they are not here already. This is the very reason why the
FSS was established in the first place: to give new breeds
just being established here a place to grow and develop
under the umbrella of AKC while, at the same time, letting
the people in those breeds become accustomed to AKC's
regulations for important things like record keeping.

Did you all know that a dog (or breed) being recorded with
FSS is NOT the same thing as being AKC registered? The
FSS is simply expanding on the role that was once filled
by the Miscellaneous Class. Breeds stay in the FSS for as
long as it takes for them to be ready to enter the Misc.
Class, a process which can take as many - or as few -
years as necessary. There is no stated timetable as there
is for the Misc. Class. If the BBS goes into FSS tomorrow,
you might never compete against one in an AKC Group ring
for 5 or 10 years. Maybe even more.
--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx