[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: in response to "my new years rant"....

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:25:18 -0700

I totally understand all of your concerns with this issue. And it's a big
one to always monitor. When a dog or puppy leaves to their new home it's a
huge decision in making sure they go to the right person/s. We can only do
our best in that transition. I was a small breeder in my day. But my puppies
were more important to me than anything I could think of. And when someone
didn't follow through with what we had agreed on I became devastated. I lost
sleepless nights over the worry for that particular puppy that went to the
wrong home. To fight the fight is sometimes grueling. Some people will
promise you the world with that puppy and that signature sometimes doesn't
mean a darn thing once the puppy is gone. We only try our best to make sure
all things go they way they should.

I've found working with some of those new puppy people which is extremely
interesting or devastating. Some people that I wasn't quite sure about
turned out to be the most fantastic ones. I can remember to this day one man
that came to my house with his promise on a pet puppy. When he left I told
my husband, "I just have this feeling I shouldn't have let that puppy go
with him." I had the man come back a number of times so I could get to know
him better. The gentlemen didn't live far from me so I could keep taps on
everything. I was SO wrong about that person. He did everything correctly
with his new companion. He loved that puppy/dog more than anything in his
life & carried for that dog like a piece of gold. He took him every place
with him. He brought the dog back for visits so I could see how he grew and
what he had taught him. It warmed my heart greatly. He told me he loved that
dog more than anything he had ever had in his life. Why couldn't I read this
person well enough in the beginning? I was totally wrong in my feelings
about him. And he proved me wrong.

Then I sold a show potential to a well-to-do man who had a cattle ranch. He
insisted on this particular puppy I had. He wanted to teach the dog herding
and so much more. The man seemed to be the most perfect person ever for one
of my GSD puppies. I was excited for this home. He and his wife turned out
to be a nightmare of numerous issues I could never communicate with. I was
SO incorrect about that couple it made me sad and forever cautious the next
time. So there are many stories out there in who gets our precious
dogs/puppies and sometimes the disappointments that come with them. Kathy
Partch