[ SHOWGSD-L ] in response to "my new years rant"....

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 04:40:29 -0800 (PST)

Thanks to all for understanding my little melt down.
Someone on the other list asked if we could somehow get the puppy away from the
people. The problem is the mentality behind the action. We, as RESPONSIBLE
owners, have the obligation to educate people regarding the care and welfare of
these precious souls at every opportunity. For each person that we enlighten,
we can effectively change the life of a dog forever. It needs to begin in
kindergarten. If you are involved in your local club, consider offering to
conduct a seminar on animal care at your local elementary school or even at the
local feed and grain store. Show people how to read a nutrition lable on the
dog food they are purchasing.
The old saying "garbage in, garbage out" holds true for our companion animals
too. Many behavioral issues can be addressed by a simple change in diet,
thereby stopping a frustrated owner from dumping their little charge at the
"shelter".
Don't be afraid to approach someone at the feed store who may be confused with
regard to food choices. Engage them in conversation about their dog...no matter
WHAT breed...compliment them on their animal while maybe eliciting information
on the living situation for that dog. Be WILLING to contact your local animal
control officer (and FOLLOW IT UP) when you see a dog who is left on a chain,
or in a kennel without proper food, shelter or area for exercise. Some states
have anti tethering laws (In CT you cannot leave an animal outdoors 24/7) which
deserve our support as a dog enthusiast community. NO DOG DESERVES TO LIVE ON A
CHAIN. It is a sentence that, were it imposed on a human, would be LOUDLY
decried by the ACLU. It is NO life for that dog. The incidence of dog bites
rises exponentially when a dog is chained. And who pays the price for this
atrocity? The dog, of course. Usually with his life.
Dogs Deserve Better is an organization that strives to get dogs off chains, and
out of filthy pens by educating the owners, offering to build an enclosure for
the dog at the organizations expense or offering to find an alternative home
for the dog. I will never forget one of the videos I saw on their site of a
coated GSD with dysplaysia living in a pen where she could not even escape her
own feces. They have helped MANY GSDs (yes, including Doogie who Tamira faced a
jail sentence to rescue)and hundreds of dogs are now living better lives
because of their commitment. Their yearly "Chain Off" event raises awareness
and money nationally. A bit extreme? Well, maybe...but all you need to watch is
their video "I Am Unseen" to realize that NOTHING is too extreme when it comes
to saving these hapless creatures. While you may not agree with all of their
edicts, it is folly to "throw the baby out with the bath water". PETA/HSUS they
are decidedly not.
In a world where people seem to have lost their ability to have compassion for
one another, wouldn't it be wonderful if the love of a dog could change it?
What better dog than a German Shepherd?
Thanks again for listening!

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.