[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: huckle bone (was Re: Re: the croup and clarification

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 17:13:52 -0400

    In America, I doubt you'd find anyone who ever used the word unless
that person lived in the Ozark Mountains and couldn't read.  I've heard
it in old movies and read it in books ... describing the place mothers
perch their babies while stirring a cookpot.  "Sit 'im thar on yer
hucklebone."  Really not a term used in the dog world...not quite slang,
since it isn't in common use anywhere...but certainly not a correct word
to describe any part of the dog.  If you tried using it the listener
would have to look it up, as did some of our list members.
Peggy