[ SHOWGSD-L ] heart murmur in puppy--HELP !!

  • From: CheradonGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:10:56 EDT

Hi List,
I sold a gorgeous 8 week old male puppy to a wonderful family this past
Sunday.  They live in Rhode Island (I live in Central NY).
I always give a full health guarantee with all my pups--and encourage the new
owners to take the pup to their vet for a complete check up within 72 hours.
they did.  I think their vet is a jerk.
I get home from work to a frantic msg on my machine from a family member of
theirs who lives near me somewhere and although I couldnt understand most of
the msg cause he wasnt talking loud enough or had a bad connection--I did
understand that they are very upset because the puppy has a heart murmur and I
have
to "take care of this situation and make this right".
I know that heart murmurs in young puppies are sort of common and NORMALLY
are not a big deal and they go away within a couple months.
Any more info I can give these people about this??  I am thinking their vet
made a real big deal of it.  I talked to my vet just now and he said he usually
he dosent pay much attention to them at this age and they usually go away and
he wouldnt be upset about it.  He also said he knew of a vet who did a
complete cardiac workup on an 8 week old  puppy with a murmur and 2 weeks later
it
was gone and the pup was fine.
Dont get me wrong--I know anything can happen and I guess a heart murmur
COULD be a problem--but in general I think they mostly go away.
Just needed some more ammunition to tell these people not to worry.  My vet
said I could give them his phone # and he will talk to them but it is always
good to also get info from da LIST cause you guys know EVERYTHING!!  ;-)
Thanks,
Cheri Hunt
Cheradon Shepherds -  Breeder/owner of Ch. Cheradon Achtung Erynbrook
Molokai, TC, OFA H&E, CA, PA, TH, NORMAL & "GSDCA Health Merit Excellent"  aka
"Champion Mikey"    Ch. Mikey        Cameo's site    Jenna's Page   Danny's
Page