[ SHOWGSD-L ] "having nothing to hide" grrrrrr

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:57:10 -0400

NOTHING, but NOTHING raises the hackles more than the ASSumption that
because you speak out against the growing "surveillance state" you have
"something to hide".
I don't know where the saying "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing
to fear." originated,( I THINK it was Sen McCarthy) but it has to be the
worst idea ever.  As each succeeding right is violated, or legislated out of
existance we are reassured that it will only affect the criminals. UNTRUE.

All you have to do is read the news... it is resplendant with reports of
INNOCENT Americans caught up in laws meant to stop "criminals".

Innocent Americans, including small children refused the right to travel
because of the "no-fly" list, which they are never allowed to see.

The truth is that innocence is no protection either against government
agencies with the power to do what they think best - or against a government
agent hoping for promotion and willing to do whatever he can get away with.

Tell a businessman he has nothing to fear from the piles of forms he must
file to prove he doesn't discriminate.

Tell a home owner he has nothing to fear when his property is seized by the
government in a mistaken - or contrived - drug raid. Or more and more these
days in "eminent domain" cases.

Tell a taxpayer he has nothing to fear when the IRS drags him into a
"taxpayer compliance" audit that eats up a week of his life, costs him
thousands of dollars in accounting fees, and threatens him with unbearable
penalties.

And I can go on and on and on abour AC "officers" abuses of the law.

Being innocent, or law abiding, doesn't allow you to ignore when a
government agent wants to search your records, your place of business or
your home.

When coercion is used to solve some perceived social problem we ALL suffer.
The coercion fails to achieve its stated aims, but it is marvelously
effective at harming the innocent.

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the
most oppressive. C.S.Lewis

www.rihadin.com

My Ebay site