[ SHOWGSD-L ] futurity judging requirements

  • From: pruett@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:51:47 +0000

>What questions do the members have for those running for Office or Board
>positions

>What do you think of the current requirements for someone to judge a futurity?
>Do you think they should remain in place or should they be changed.

I think the futurity judging requirements should be relaxed.  I think that it is
a shame that many of our successful breeder/exhibitors aren't eligible (I
refused to use the term "not qualified" because many are qualified) to judge a
futurity because they have not judged enough specialty matches.  I think we
need to keep in mind the AKC requirements for a provisonal license - 12 years,
4 litters, 4 champions, 6 all breed matches or 3 specialty matches (a specialty
match counts as the equivalent of two all-breed matches, 6 stewarding
assignments.  In some ways our futurity judging requirements are more stringent
than the AKC's judging requirements.   I exceed the requirements for an AKC
license but I am not eligible to judge a GSDCA futurity.  I think there are
creative ways to give prospective judges a working knowledge of good ring
procedure without requiring specialty matches.  All breed matches, ringside
mentoring, stewarding, attending a judges seminar should, in my opinion,
substitute for specialty match judging requirements.

Laurie Preutt