[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: function & cripples

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Lealynn@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gsdman2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:17:45 -0700

                       ********************************> >
> Excellent observation Tom.  I hear so many people talk of suspension when
> what I see is wasted motion up and down.  Suspension comes from the power
 >thrust > forward.
> I hear people talk about covering a lot of ground when what I see are busy
> fast steppers running as fast as their little feet can carry them.  A ground
> covering gait comes from the thrust of power forward to take a long stride.
> The good news is I have seen this coming back and being rewarded in the ring
> by knowledgable judges.  Just gives me goosebumps to see those powerful
> suspending movers cover ground.> > Liz> http://www.lealynn.com/
We are seeing a lot of problems in the rear....and it seems to be rewarded
quite a bit.   Some are  "held together"  by talent and leashes. <G>
They tend to lift in the front and reach from the elbow and it is thought to be
front extension by many......they drop at the wither and FLY.......and WIN!!
As long as it is rewarded with wins, we will continue to see it......and we
lose.

The powerful athletic ground covering gait comes from a powerful thrust from
the rear that literally propels the dog forward ...causing the front to match
that
stride by reaching forward in EQUAL distance and timing  to literally &
smoothly
"catch" that drive from the rear.   No kick UP in follow through....and no LIFT
in
front.
This kind of movement does not need to be held up by the leash and held together
by a handler......just needs to be guided around the ring.   It's a "beautiful
thing".
<G>

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com