[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: from a horse friend how to get rid of flies!!!

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vhvgsd1@xxxxxxx" <vhvgsd1@xxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:10:55 -0700 (PDT)

If you add some vinegar you will have some bright shinny pennies too.

Theresa

________________________________
#1 Says:
I tried the zip lock bag and pennies this weekend.. I have a
horse trailer. The flies were so bad while I was
camping. I put a bag with pennies above the
door of the camper. NOT ONE FLY came into the camper but the
horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!

Says: Fill a zip lock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and
hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular
window in my home. It had a slight passage way for
insects. Ever since I have done that, it has kept
flies and wasps away. Some say that wasps and flies
mistake the bag for some other insect nest and are
threatened.

#3 Says:
I swear by the plastic bag of water trick. I have them on porch
and basement. We saw these in Northeast MO. at an
Amish grocery store & have used them since. They
say it works because a fly sees a reflection &
won't come around.

#4 Says:
Regarding the science behind zip lock bags of water? My research
found that the millions of molecules of water
presents its own prism effect and given that flies
have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion
disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in
a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are
prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they
simply won't take the risk of being around that much
perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these
"hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it and it
worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing
the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long.

I have done that for the past three years
here in Minnesota and have everyone at the
campgrounds doing it. Even in the outhouses.
It really does work!!!!!

PS. The water never needs to be changed as
long as it doesn't evaporate. My Mom leaves hers up all year
and lets it freeze in the winter and when it melts in the spring
it still works. I use more than four pennies, but I have always
been a big spender. I usually put in 8 - 10. No more flies for me!