[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: etu de skunk-help

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: dezign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, vonadlerhof@xxxxxxxxxxx, SCHARO1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:58:12 EST

In a message dated 1/2/05 10:40:12 PM, dezign@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Wouldn't the peroxide bleach or discolor the dogs coat?
Sounds like a mix for lightening hair. LOL
Charmaine >>

Yes, if you were leaving it on undiluted for a long period of time.  I had to
treat one of my dogs once with hydrogen peroxide (undiluted) for a deep skin
infection - he had a very ugly hole that had to be healed from the inside out.
 He was treated with oral antibiotics, and I had to use hydrogen peroxide
several times a day to flush the wound.

I carefully used bobby pins to pin back his fur so that he would get air on
the sore; I didn't want to shave the area unless I had to due to our show
schedule.  So I used a very thick hair gel to push the fur back and hold it
away,
and pinned it with the bobby pins.  I then protected the open sore while using
a very liberal amount of hair spray to lacquer his fur so tight it wouldn't
move in a hurricane.

I just recently bought a small bottle of a hair gel called "Hair Glue," the
company is called "Beyond the Zone."  I've been experimenting with it, and boy
they aren't kidding when they say it's "glue."  It's strong enough to get my
hair to stand straight up -- and not fall.  Since that's not the look I was
going for, this is going in the box of cosmetics that have been relegated to
"Halloween use" or "dress up play for my nieces."  But if I ever to hold back a
dogs' fur instead of shaving, this product will do it for sure.

You also have to be very careful with hydrogen peroxide -- it's a good
antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agent, but it can REALLY damage your eyes if
you
get in there.  I found this out the hard way - I have accidentally grabbed ear
drops instead of eye drops and ear drops have a lot of hydrogen peroxide in
them.  This little incident earned me a trip to the emergency room to have my
eye
flushed for what seemed like an eternity.  And it hurt really bad, not
mention it was a couple days before I got my full vision back, it was blurred
in the
that eye and I was prescribed prednisone drops to bring the swelling down.
So be VERY careful if you use it on a dogs head.

Kelly Busse