[ SHOWGSD-L ] dog intelligence

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kimorr@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:13:32 -0500

Irish Setters aren't dumb.  They just don't think people are worth
listening to, like most dogs bred to hunt...they have different
priorities, that's all.  They were bred to work on their own, FOR man.
My GSD bitch is as smart as a whip...but the smartest dog I've ever
owned was my first Cavalier.  Cavaliers usually aren't terribly smart in
the way we think of dogs as smart...they just know they're so cute they
don't have to do anything they don't want to do...like housebreaking
them...they make you think it's YOUR fault when they have a mistake.
Most of them are very trainable...they are just different from dogs bred
to work WITH man.
    The man who wrote the book on dog intelligence had to be a non-dog
person...his tests were often based on food motivitation and/or problem
solving.  Not all dogs are food motivated, and some could care less
about solving a problem to suit a human...if the tests had been suitable
to the canine mind, his results would have been very different, I
promise you.
Peggy