[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: can my dogs catch things from a pet store puppy?

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:18:14 -0700

Hi Kathy,

On 11/21/06 2:46 PM, Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Sure, they could catch kennel cough or a similar bug.  Herpes virus is
> spread via aerosol in dogs and not uncommon where you have large groups of
> dogs
> housed in close proximity. Who knows if the puppy has been on any kind of
> worming schedule.  (But, I don't think the risk is any more or less than an
> indoor
> show this time of year.)

  Thanks for the info.  I've requested details on what shots the puppy
will have had by Thursday morning (framed that way in case someone
brings it to a vet today or tomorrow).
>  The bigger question is how do you get them to stay in a 3' chain link
> fence?
>  And if the dogs are running on either side, how do you stop  something from
> being pulled though and bitten???  Like an ear, a lip, a  youngster's paw?
>
> Mine would laugh at 3'.  (I have ill behaved doggies! besides, back in  the
> day they had to jump that + for Utility.)  And I do have a  gal that will
> fence
> fight and if something got close enough, hate to say it, but  she would pull
> something through.

  I've got a 3' chain link at home and they respect that.  I've been
very assertive about pulling Brittany's front feet off it & growling
"off!" the few times I've caught her with them up (barking at a cat).
I've yet to see Indi put her feet up in the 8 months I've had her.
Shepherds are perimeter herders, right, supposed to respect a boundary?
;)  When my dogs have been up at the son's house before, they've often
run along the fence with the older poodle on the other side, barking &
sometimes play-bowing, but I haven't seen any feet on the fence or
attempts to go over.  I can't imagine Indi going for a small piece of a
puppy -- with one of the cats, she's always trying to sniff/lick his
butt or put her open mouth over his head, she doesn't seem interested in
ears or paws or tails.

  Heck, Kathy, I've got a 24" pressure gate in the hallway to give the
yearling cats a part of the house to retreat to.  Even when they were
new kitties Brittany never went over that (and she thinks cats are
squirrels and squirrels are to be chased off).  Indi's knocked the gate
off kilter a couple times by charging into it in pursuit of a cat, but
never gone over.  I just don't have jumpers (knock wood).

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany