[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: but tell me how/performance puppy

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 08:06:16 EDT

Great post Suzanne:)

Unless someone has gone on in some type of performance venue, I don't think
 they realize what a PITA (pain in the a....) it is to raise a performance
prospect.  First, erase "no" from your vocabulary and learn to re-direct
instead of correcting.  Build confidence.  Build it some more.   The rascal
of a puppy will grow to be a brave adult that will TRY.  Now,  depending on
your interest, "try" might mean giving 110% in the group ring, it  might mean
going between the sheep and the fence, it might mean dragging the  handler
on the end of a tracking harness and/or doing good SCH work.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 8/7/2009 9:48:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Folks seem to be under the misguided impression that a puppy  has to be
taught to bite to work in schutzhund.  Not true.  Correct  temperament is
correct temperament.  Situational behaviors are  something else.  Dogs dig,
they
chew, they poop, they mark territory,  THEY BITE.  Those are normal doggie
behaviors.  We turn them into  situational behaviors - its OK to dig but not
in my garden, its ok to chew  your toys but not my shoes, you have to poop
but OUTSIDE, etc.   So we don't teach dogs to bite.  Given the right
provocation EVERY  dog will bite.   Provocation might be as simple as looking
at
them  or as bad as pounding but eventually ever animal will defend  itself.
Back a mouse into a corner and it will come at you  like a lion!!  What we do
with every dog we own, Ambred or German, GSD or  Chihuahua, is teach them
when and where aggression is appropriate [HOPEFULLY]  because if WE don't,
they DO CHOOSE their own line on the ground and we might  not agree where that
is!!!!!

Raising a performance puppy involves two things.   Teaching them to tug as
a game and toy drive.  With the tug they  must win occasionally.  They must
win enough that they keep playing  but only just enough that it means
something when you release the tug  toy.  The strong toy drive means you have
spend lots fo time  playing with puppy!  And the cardinal rules of the tug
and toys games are  these - they are never allowed to play with either
unsupervised so these two  games are strictly human/puppy interaction.  AND
both
have to end  immediately on command.  So long as you have those two games
firmly  in place as a puppy, MANY performance events become easier.

Schutzhund is a game.  The sleve eventually becomes the  tug - a toy that
is only fun when attached to a human.  The dog  messes up in training the
sleve is dropped on the ground and becomes a 'dead'  object with no attractive
value.  Toy games teach them to search and  focus for heeling, scent work,
tracking, DRUG work, etc.

Simple stuff on paper but requiring tons of individual time  with each
puppy - something that usually doesn't happen with folks who keep  large
numbers
of dogs.......... in fact, most American breeders tell their  puppy buyers
absolutely no tug games which on one hand HELPS keeps puppies  from
developing dominance issues and high drive behaviors.  However, it  also fails
encourage puppies from developing dominance toward  sleeves and helpers too.
Many TRAIN their dogs NOT to do  schutzhund or any type of bite work.
Thats why I said before.  Many  dogs COULD do the work if raised for it.  Most
are just not.  Its  not wrong or right.  It is based on what each of us wants
to live  with.

Suzanne

POST  is Copyrighted 2008.  All material remains the property of the

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org

steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)