[ SHOWGSD-L ] brindle dogs

  • From: "Miss Hereford" <MissHereford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:20:25 -0600

<<Msg: #9 in digest
From: ORSuite@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:26:04 EST
Subject: Re: Brindle GSD pups--pictures--wierd.

In a message dated 2/24/2005 8:57:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vonadlerhof@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I was wondering how the Father(RED SABLE)- of these brindle pups had a
> WHITE
> sire and a BLACK &TAN Dam?? How'd they get RED SABLE outta that??

White sire could have been masking the sable.

Chris K>>

And, from the picture I saw of the sire, he wasn't a strong sable (agouti)
pattern himself, which could lend one to think that the white was beginning
to color pale the sable. If his sire were white, this certainly could have
attributed to that effect.

Having bred dogs for nearly 50 years I am familiar with, and have owned and
produced (certainly something I am not proud of, but will admit to), color
paled dogs. From my experience, color paling results from adding too much
white to a breeding program that involves colored dogs. If you need the
white to achieve certain attributes, as the majority of breeders in the
1950s did, that is fine, but the problem of color-paling arrises when the
balance becomes one sided and off-balance, thus producing color-paled and
failing pigment dogs.

And also from my experience, if once color paling shows itself you continue
to add white, you then will see a loss of pigment - white nails and eyes
that are not black or are very light.

Experience is a great teacher and one from whom a breeder can learn over the
course of many years of trials and tribulations.
Daphne Hereford
Rin Tin Tin