[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: was brindle dogs, now paling gene

  • From: "juel" <juel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:32:41 -0600

I may not have years behind me, but from my research and studies of the
genetics of coat color, I do not believe there has ever been any evidence at
all showing that the color white pales colors.
Speculation passed down from generation to generation yes - evidence, no.

What does happen is that the color white masks, and as such they can be masking
pale colors.

Using any whites in a breeding program that do not exhibit the rich intense
black pigment on nose, eye rims, lips, pads and toenails (ie: have poor
pigment) can indeed lead to paling colors in a breeding program....and that is
not the white gene at fault for pale colors. And then to match those dogs up in
a breeding program that already has paling colors....well the end result is
continued paling colors getting doubled up over and over again.

But that is only my humble input...
Judy in MN