[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: blood draw at the national

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: EJDegen@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:39:40 EDT

Thanks Julie.  I think the blood draw was considered very successful  by
Dr. Azuma and her colleague (sorry I don't remember her name).  It's  much
easier to get people to donate when they are there on the premises with  their
dogs.  And they especially wanted older dogs which is why Rags got to
participate.  It's hard to believe but Rags will be 10 years old November  1.
Guess that means we are all getting older!!  LOL

Tish

In a message dated 10/22/2009 10:27:47 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
EJDegen@xxxxxxx writes:
As other  have mentioned, what was seen in the stall was a blood draw for
research.  This blood is going to be used for hemangiosarcoma
research....which as we all know, is an issue too many have had to  deal
with.

The researchers were very pleased to get blood  from several different
breeds....I even took my border collie over  there to donate his blood (his
uncle
recently died of  hemangiosarcoma).  GSD Cassie also donated blood.  It
only  took a few minutes and was no more painful for the dogs than giving
blood
for a CBC....and both my dogs were thrilled that they got cookies when
they were  done! :-)

Even if you've had your dogs give blood  in the past with permission to
"share" the blood samples amongst  researchers, it's always a good idea to
give
again.  I was told  at the national this year that it's easiest to get the
blood donated  directly to them....especially when you give an up to date &

accurate medical history.  Especially because this was for
hemangioscarcoma
research, I really wish the announcers had done a  better job of BEGGING
everyone there to take their dogs over to  donate blood.  I heard about
the
blood draws, but had no idea  until I asked what it was for or that they
wanted ALL  dogs...including ones that had donated in the past as well as
"other"
breeds.

Julie  Degen

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org