[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: another futurity suggestion

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bill Basu" <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, caretti@xxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 13:27:01 -0600

To me there is something wrong here. A futurity is just what it means.."the
future" the judge should be trying to find a youngster..no matter what age
or from what class that he/she feels is going to materialize into a
promising adult dog. The mind set of judging a futurity should be different
than that of judging a point show.With a point show there may be concern
that a young dog given championship points may not materialize and be
worthy of the championship title later on( even in this case it shouldn't
matter as the alternative would be to award points to a lesser quality
older dog  because of his age..not his merit) . A futurity should not be
held in as high esteem..after all it is simply a GSDCA regional puppy
match. So if a youngster wins it and then later doesn't materialize..so
what??? . If a judge lacks the courage to put up a junior or teenage
youngster at a puppy match, that is not the systems fault, that simply
means that some judges feel more comfortable putting up a sure thing in
order to safe guard  their own reputations for "finding the good ones."  To
me as we continue to try to find ways to revamp the futurity system..either
by including more dogs as with the reserve system..or keeping some dogs
from competing with other dogs..or whatever..we continue to give futurities
more importance than they merit. Want to get more entries? Get back to the
notion that it is a match and nothing more.C.Grainger

younger puppies are not shown in the futurity due to the competition from
the older classes. By breaking the futurity up into the two sections as
Cyndi notes, i think it may encourage more people to show the younger
puppies, thereby providing more evidence of the breedings and also enable
more opportunities for junior handlers to get dogs to handle etc etc. Off
the top of my head i can't think of a negative, however if there in one i'm
sure it will be posted.