[ SHOWGSD-L ] another feeding question

  • From: "Tammy" <muckdog@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GSD" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 23:13:11 -0400

I had posted almost a month ago about one of my males who had bloated/torsion
and I had mentioned that he has always been a gulper. Well after his surgery he
was only given a chicken & rice diet which he was on for a few weeks. The meals
were given 4 times a day, but at a much smaller amount. I started feeding him
on a cookie sheet with the chicken rice and now I continue to feed him on the
cookie sheet with his regular food. I also soak their food for 10 mins before I
feed it to them. The problem I have now is that he has gotten alot worse with
the gulping. He doesn't even chew his food, he licks it up and swallows. It is
literally like it's his last meal. Is there anything I can do to get him to
slow down and actually chew it again?? Tonight I did try feeding him from a
spoon, thinking that maybe that would slow him down, but it didn't help at all.
I really don't know what to do at this point.
Any advise or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tammy