[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [amergsd] suggestions for weight gain

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:31:01 EST

There really are some dogs that just don't gain much - just like
the people I envy <G>.  I have one that will gain some, then  lose it
again.  In the past, dogs I've had like that have outgrown it, but
this boy is 6 now and still does the same.  His TLI is 7.1, so
he doesn't have EPI.  He's tested free of parasites, and even  after
I treated him anyway (just in case) there was no change.  I tried
different foods and supplements - again he'd gain, then lose it
again.   He went through aspiration pnuemonia that repeated  itself
a few times - while clearing that up, we did a barium test, blood
tests and scoped him - no mega, healthy heart, kidneys, liver,etc,
and normal thyroid.  He's just a lean dog!  Three of his  progeny
are the same, while others are not.  It drives me crazy, but I'm
just feed him a high quality food and luckily his coat looks
great and he has plenty of energy - I suspect the energy may
be the problem, as he and his 'skinny' kids are all nonstop
fence runners!

Janice

In a message dated 11/9/2006 8:08:31 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Ginger,

Have you had her checked out for EPI  ? Below is a link to just one of the
many sites on this topic.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/exocrine_pancreatic_insufficie.html

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (also called  â??Maldigestionâ??)
The most common cause of digestive enzyme deficiency  in dogs is â??pancreatic
acinar atrophy,â?? where the pancreas simply is shriveled  and useless. This
condition seems to have a genetic basis but is not  congenital and may develop
at
any age (though usually shows up before age 4  years). The German Shepherd
Dog and Rough-Coated Collie are particularly at  risk and the mode of
inheretance appears to be autosomal recessive and  involves immune-mediated
destruction
of the pancreas. About 70% of dogs with  exocrine pancreatic insufficiency are
German Shepherd dogs and 20% are Rough  Collies

Lyn
Ginger Cleary  <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
NOT for me, LOL!  I have a bitch that is eating twice a day,  nearly four
cups each feeding, she is parasite free and yet will not gain  weight. She is a
very active.  I have her on a good meat based quality  dog food. The fat
content is 20%, the highest I can find.

Any suggestions?  Is there something I could add to her food  to help? I am
worried about her. Though she certainly acts fine, has normal  stools, etc,
etc. She just won't gain weight.

Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
Never underestimate the ability  of the hypocritical to hoodwink the
sanctimonious.  www.rihadin.com