[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: [amergsd] suggestions for weight gain

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ginger Cleary <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:07:31 -0800 (PST)

Ginger,

  Have you had her checked out for EPI ? Below is a link to just one of the
many sites on this topic.

  http://www.marvistavet.com/html/exocrine_pancreatic_insufficie.html

  Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency (also called ?Maldigestion?)
  The most common cause of digestive enzyme deficiency in dogs is ?pancreatic
acinar atrophy,? where the pancreas simply is shriveled and useless. This
condition seems to have a genetic basis but is not congenital and may develop
at any age (though usually shows up before age 4 years). The German Shepherd
Dog and Rough-Coated Collie are particularly at risk and the mode of
inheretance appears to be autosomal recessive and involves immune-mediated
destruction of the pancreas. About 70% of dogs with exocrine pancreatic
insufficiency are German Shepherd dogs and 20% are Rough Collies

  Lyn
Ginger Cleary <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
            NOT for me, LOL!  I have a bitch that is eating twice a day, nearly
four cups each feeding, she is parasite free and yet will not gain weight. She
is a very active.  I have her on a good meat based quality dog food. The fat
content is 20%, the highest I can find.

  Any suggestions?  Is there something I could add to her food to help? I am
worried about her. Though she certainly acts fine, has normal stools, etc, etc.
She just won't gain weight.

  Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
  Never underestimate the ability of the hypocritical to hoodwink the
sanctimonious. www.rihadin.com

__._,_.___   Messages in this topic (1) Reply (via web post) | Start a new
topic

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional

      Recent Activity

      1
  New Members